HELP Im a newbie and i need some advice!

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Re: HELP Im a newbie and i need some advice!

Postby san-ho-zay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:04 pm

You'd be better with a conventional-shaped tank than a Biorb IMO.

Adding plants is a good thing. You'll often read about plants consuming nitrate and that's true, but they much prefer ammonia so you are unlikely to see ammonia (or nitrite) if the plants are growing OK. But with only one fish in the tank, there almost certainly won't be enough food for the plants so a plant food that provides all the nutrients is a good idea.

It's difficult to find a plant food that provides the necessary nitrate and phosphate along with trace elements but Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus is specifically designed for tanks with plants where the fish load is too low to provide these. 250ml would last you over two years if you dose it at 2ml per week (you'd need a little plastic pipette).
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby englishmx » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:11 pm

san-ho-zay wrote:You'd be better with a conventional-shaped tank than a Biorb IMO.

As above, those Biorbs are no place for fish! Make good ornaments mind :lol: (IMO)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby san-ho-zay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 pm

I just saw a product update from Aquaessentials and the plant food I referred to above has been replaced by this one, which is also available in smaller bottles at £6.95.

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/tropica ... -6293.html
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Pammie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks for the info on the plant food Richard...much appreciated...as ever..

Yeh Mike, the Biorbs do make a good ornament and are a tad expensive eitherway... my wee boy likes the BiOrb when it changes colour... but I dont suppose the fish like it....they must feel like they are living in a nightclub...wee souls...

I will just stick to getting a bigger normal tank once this one has finished its cycle...then Tiny can have some more wee friends to play with.

Thanks again!!! :innocent:
Pammie

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 am

I'd be wary of a shop that claims to have lost no fish in several months! Unless they have like 10 tanks with L numbers or something in. Stuff like livebearers, corys, dwarf gourami come and go in the hundreds and you get the odd one die.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby ady » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:00 am

have to agree about the biorbs.....a traditional tank shape is much better for the fish....yes they look cool,but function is better than form in my book 8)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Pammie » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:34 am

Update 28 July 2012

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 5ppm
NitrAtes 20ppm
PH 6.4

Tiny's tail has now fully grown back after being nipped off a few weeks ago, thankfully, and the bully was returned to the shop. I have just done a 40% water change to reduce the nitrites and overdosed x2 with Prime to detoxify the nitrites for Tiny.

Im hoping the cycle will finish shortly and I can start doing weekly water changes...cant wait for that day.... :)
Pammie

Postby ItWentWhereverIdidGo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 am

You need to do more big water changes. 5ppm is very high nitrites do a 50% now and another tomorrow till you get it under 1ppm.
ItWentWhereverIdidGo

Postby Timshill » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:55 pm

Pammie wrote:Hi All

I bought a small 20 litre cold water tank from a local pet shop, bad idea i know now. I added my water and ornaments and ran it for over a week. I was told I could add 9 fish in total adding just 3 each week, unfrotunately, I was never told about cycling at the pet shop!!
I first got 3 small White Cloud Minnows bout 8 days after setting up the tank. They told me I could add another 3 the following week.
Went back a week later and we picked out 3 neon tetras.
The next week we went back to get another 3 neon tetras and to my surprise I was told by another member of staff that since neon tetras are tropical, I should have had a heater and that I should leave the heater for a few days to settle before getting anymore fish.
I went home quickly and put the heater in the tank, panicking my wee tetras would be suffering.
The next day I found one wee tetra dead and I decided to take the other two back to the shop as my wee boy was so upset the others would die too.
I had started checking online and found that they should have tested my water before selling me fish never mind tell me about the nitrogen cycle.
I asked them to check the water and my ammonia levels turned dark green. I was advised to do a 20% water change and check it next week.
I was so worried i took another sample to another shop the next day and they said do a 30/40% water changes every day for a week. I had been doing that but the ammonia was still between 1.0 and 2.0
I was then advised to add Nutrifin cycle to kick start the cycle and do 50% water chnages every other day.
So I am now using Prime as the declorinator as advised on another website but my ammonia is still above 1.0. My smallest White Cloud minnow was also being bullied by the two bigger ones so I decided to take the others back until I could sort out the cycle, however, still np let up on the ammonia.
What can i do now I have 0 nitrite and 0 nitrAte and still ammonia between 1.0 and 2.0.
I am only feeding every other day a tiny tiny part of flaked food. I do admit i had been feeding him abit more at the start.

Please can someone help me I am worried sick!!

Which pet shop was it you visited Pammie ?
Im a newb to fishkeeping as well only been doing it a couple of months, ive been getting all my stuff from M&R Dogfish on Paisley Road West, I ask their advice on something different every time i visit the shop, I find them very helpful and they wont sell you what you dont need to the point i went in yesterday afternoon and left without buying any fish.
On my way out I bought a couple of packs of Daphnia and backing screen for my tank just to give them a sale of some kind.
Timshill

Previous

Return to Freshwater Discussion