Fish waste - general question

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Fish waste - general question

Postby Coco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:58 pm

So, I have two tanks, both 60 litre.

Tank 1 has 8 neon tetras, 4 harlequin raspbora, 2 dwarf gourami and 2 Reticulated Hillstream Loach.
Tank 2 has a Betta Splendens, 2 peppered cories, 2 panda cories, 2 spotted cories and a red whiptail cat.

I know they are both well-stocked so I do a 25% water change twice a week in both tanks. The water parameters are fine with ammo and Nitrite both at 0ppm and nitrates under 40ppm and all my fish are healthy. I haven't had a fish loss in over 6 months.

Tank 1 just seems to have more fish poop and gunge in it, while tank 2 has very little even after a good gravel syphon. So, are the fish in Tank 1 just messier?
Coco

Re: Fish waste - general question

Postby san-ho-zay » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:54 pm

My theory would be that tank 1 has no genuine bottom feeding fish and no fish that will go to the bottom looking for food. Food that falls to the substrate would tend to go uneaten and faeces would tend to lie undisturbed. It's not a problem as such -- just watch their feeding patterns and maybe feed less but more frequently. You could also have a look at the flow around the tank -- if it's weak it might not be keeping food floating around where the tetras, rasbora and gourami will take it.

The hillstream loach is an algae eater rather than a scavenger. You ought to have a look on Loaches Online for care of hillstream loaches -- they need well oxygenated water, good flow and appreciate algae covered rocks to graze upon. How are you feeding those at the moment -- will they take cucumber and courgette?
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Coco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:09 pm

They adore courgette and I have a supply in the freezer. They also like algae wafers and the sinking shrimp pellets I give to my cories. The tank has natural rock surfaces, driftwood and live plants so they flit around on there as well as the glass. I have two filters one the tank, one has a spray bar directed across the tank for water movement. I usually have an airstone in there too but I need to get a new pump.

Edit: I like your theory. Makes a lot of sense.
Coco

Postby san-ho-zay » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Sounds good. What I've heard of people doing for the hillstreams to give them a treat is keeping a few smooth pebbles in some tank water where it can catch the sun, e.g. in a tupperware box on a sunny windowsill. The strong light and lack of filtration means the stones get covered in green algae and every now and then you can pop one in for them to clean before returning it back to the sunny spot. A little algae farm if you like.
Richard
san-ho-zay

Postby Coco » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:02 pm

That's a great idea, I'll try that. Thanks Richard.
Coco

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Also, do both tanks have identical filtration and decor, plants etc? Disturbed flow.
Do those loaches poo as much as plecs? Another difference.
Growing algae on rocks like that works well and is easy to do. Just remember to keep them covered in water as it evaporates :wink:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion