Where to buy Glasgow area?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Where to buy Glasgow area?

Postby looby » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi could anyone give me any recommendations for where to buy fish around Glasgow....also where to avoid.......we are new to fishkeeping. thank you
looby

Re: Where to buy Glasgow area?

Postby scottb » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:17 pm

there are 4 shops on paisley rd west govan,m and r dogfish,coral reef,aquarium design and cant remember the name of the other,the guys in m and r will give u plenty of their time and give good advice,iv bought fish from all three mentioned without any probs but as ur a newbie id suggest m and r, they'll keep u right,there is also a maidenhead aquatics in sterling mills at coatbridge although iv not been there myself yet. hope this helps
Juwel rio 240-american cichlids
juwel rio 180-community
Juwel rio 180 vision-community
fluval roma 90-community
aquastart 26ltr-betta
scottb

Postby Timshill » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 pm

Id Agree with Scott, The guys in M&R are VERY helpful and will advise you on anything you ask, I used to go to M&R with my dad 30 years ago for the same reason and when i got back into fishkeeping, M&R were my first port of call.
You will find M&R beside the junction of Paisley road west and Midlock st, just next to where you turn off PRW onto Edmiston Dr to go to Ibrox Stadium.
There is also a shop on Alexandria Parade, as you head away from the city centre its in the last row of shops on the left before you get to the park, its called Aqua Parade, nice shop, well laid out, good choice and the staff are helpful
If you live on the southside, there is a shop in Govanhill called Supreme Aquatics on Butterbiggins road (at the side of Larkfield bus garage) at the Cathcart Road end, nice wee shop, guy that owns it is very friendly and helpful also
Timshill

Postby Timshill » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 pm

PS. the 4th shop on PRW is called Waterworld Aquatics
Timshill

Postby Pammie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 pm

I would definately go to Aqua Parade on Cumbernauld Road just past the Park and the station.
Simply beautiful fish shop and the guys are great in there. They even have baby turtles which are so, so cute!!
Their tanks are immaculate and the fish are fantastic looking, they do water changes everyday, so they are very fussy about their fish. It is weel worth a visit. I haven't visited any of the others mentioned tho but I will try them
Please, please, dont go to the fish shops in the Saltmarket area in town...my son is still traumatised at the state of them!
Pammie

Postby Timshill » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:43 pm

I know the shop you mean, at the side of the tron theatre ? I drove past it today to have a look, didnt look very nice from the outside.
You are right about Aqua Parade, they even have all the ph levels, temps etc they keep their fish at on every tank, ive never seen that in any shop before.
Timshill

Return to Freshwater Discussion