Help Fish Dying

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Help Fish Dying

Postby Fatelrror89 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm

I start off by my mate gave me his old tank so I cleaned it out and got all new gravel and filter system and the safe start stuff in the bottle. I filled up the tank and left it for a week for the water to clear up then I went to my local fish store and got the water tested and was all ok. So I added 6 mickey mouse platys oh which 4 was pregnant :( the women who sold them to me said wait another week before adding another set of fish so I added 6 black mollies and two dwarf gourami a week later but the mollies ended up killing 3 of my mickey mouse platys so I removed the mollies from the tank and left the tank to see if the other fish was ok everything seemed fine till last week one of my dwarf gourami died i thought this could be the issue what happened with mollies.Then my dad went out and brought 3 Boesmani Rainbow this friday just gone and two have died in two days i need some advice i can not see why my fish are dying :evil:
Fatelrror89

Re: Help Fish Dying

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:04 am

Is this the 120L you mentioned in another post?
I get annoyed at shops that test tank water that has been sitting for a week with no fish or anything in it. Of course the readings would be good! :twisted:
You then added 14 fish within 2 weeks then added 3 more. Your tank has not had a chance to cycle and you have added too many too soon. Have you tested the water again since adding fish? The 6 platies would have been enough to add at the start then you should have waited 1 MONTH, not 1 week, before adding more (and after checking the water parameters).
I suggest your fish are dying due to poor water quality.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Fatelrror89 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 am

yeah the 120L

Yeah Tested it each time I added fish and it was all ok. i should of not listened to the women in the shop so the best thing I can do is leave it for a month now before adding another fish or should i wait longer or add treatment to the water ? and by looks of it my dwarf gourami is not eating :angry:
Fatelrror89

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:54 pm

I do not see how the tests could be "OK". Have you got exact readings? By getting these you would know when to do a water change.
Water changes, daily at about 30%, will probably be required until the ammonia and nitrites drop to 0. Water changes are always better than treatments.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion