Pond snail?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Pond snail?

Postby stoofus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:02 pm

I have recently been setting up my first tropical tank, and so far so good. I've seen two of these snails moving around. The one I've photographed is about 1cm long, the other slightly smaller. I guess they came with some of the plants I've bought.

Are they pond snails? Should I remove them before I have many many more?! I have 2 amano shrimp and 5 cherry shrimp that scamper about all day long so maybe the snails are an unnecessary risk?

For some reason I can't attach the pic, so it is at: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9oYjx ... m5WYWlIS2c
stoofus

Re: Pond snail?

Postby finny » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi

I too have just changed my 2ft tank for a 4ft tank and have had two of these snails although I dont know what they are and
have removed them.

I have 10 Harlequins, a pair of Dwarf Gourami`s and a chinese algae eater.Good luck with new tank.

Finny .
Thanks for coming, come again soon.
Finny
finny

Postby stoofus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:19 am

Hi Finny,

I've kept the snails so far - their mottled gold shells make them quite attractive. But will keep an eye out for a population explosion!

As for fish, I've got 7 zebra danios and 3 sterba's cory at the moment. Trying to decide between cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra or honey gourami next :)
stoofus

Postby finny » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Stoofus
I am going to get a shoal of Zebra Danios to complement my Harlequins, just taking it steady as the tank is new although I moved some plants and media from my old tank to speed up the cycling.
Honey or 3 spot gourami as well but not too quick,problem is resiting temptation.

Cheers 8)
Finny
finny

Postby markee » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 am

Just a little word of warning for you Finny, keep an eye on your CAE, as the get older they get quite aggressive & will quite happily latch onto any fish that can't defend itself properly, a nice Gourami would be tempting for it :wink:
markee

Postby finny » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for that Markee, he is about 5inch long at the moment and so far does not bother anyone but will keep an eye on him.
Finny
finny

Return to Freshwater Discussion