Stocking a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Stocking a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank

Postby Thompson24 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi guys I've had tropical fish for a few years with just a two foot tank but have just ordered a 6ft x 2ft x2ft tank :-0

My question is if you had this size tank what would you stock it with?(tropical)

I tend to stick to the same fish every time and want some inspiration. I normally end up with a fighter, Molly's, platys neons etc but would like some professional advise to be able to give my tank a great display of colour, different types of fish and also getting the balance of top middle and bottom fish right?
Thompson24

Re: Stocking a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Those fish are all too small and don't shoal well. The fighter really wouldn't like it at all!
Have a look at rainbowfish. There is a huge number of them to choose from in all shapes, colours and sizes.
In a tank that size you could go for a shoaling species and have a decent shoal of them. 50+ fish moving in unison look spectacular! Suggestions for a large group would be along the lines of cardinals, rummynose, golden barbs, tetras.
Also consider gouramis, keyhole cichlids or other mid-sized cichlids.
Hoplo cats, Ancistrus and loaches for the bottom.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: Stocking a 6ftx2ftx2ft tank

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Set up a Papua New Guinea sandy river tank. Fine gravel and sand then cryps and vallis for plants then add the rainbows.
Or a central American rocky tank if you aren't keen on plants. Stock with cichlids - golds, red breasted, red devils, firemouths etc with a couple of small plecs.
Tanks themed to a specific area can look really good.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion