PLATY PROBLEM

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

PLATY PROBLEM

Postby caroline » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:31 pm

Hi,
We have had a tank for about a month now, bought from someone looking to rehome it. We took everthing ,plants, fish, rocks and most of the water and set it up in our home.The tank measures L48" x H15"x xW13" and contains 1 guppie, 1plec(5"),1 chinese algee eater (6"),2 cherry Barb, 2 Mollys, 4 Platys ,4 Panda Corys,5 sissortails and 9 tetras and 3 baby Platys!
We have a little knowledge as my daughter has a small tank with danios and mountain minnows and does a lot of research on how to look after them properly,plus I have read quite a lot of posts on this forum. Everything has been going swimmingly, but I have joined the forum today as I have a couple of things concerning me,
#1 the Chinese Algee Eater bullies the plec whenever he comes out of his home (which is usually for just a short spell in the evening) until he goes back in his home again.
#2 I think one of the Platys is pregnant (sometimes she seems fatter than others but she does have the dark patch above the anal fin) .The male Platy just followed her about almost as though he was looking after her , but this morning was chasing her up and down the glass and when she found a place to hide he was frantic untill he found her again. Now ths evening her colouring is changed, her front half , head and stomache ,is still golden(they are sunset platys) but from her anal fin to , say, her shoulder ,back to her tail has turned bluish/gray.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
caroline

Re: PLATY PROBLEM

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 pm

#1 the Chinese Algee Eater bullies the plec whenever he comes out of his home (which is usually for just a short spell in the evening) until he goes back in his home again.
CAE's are known to do this as they get older. They like to attach themselves to flat bodied fish in particular and suck off the slime. The plec is a nocturnal fish so possibly moves about more at night when you don't see it. If the CAE persists it may be a case of finding him a new home. Keep an eye out for ring marks on the fish, that will be the CAE sucking.

#2 I think one of the Platys is pregnant (sometimes she seems fatter than others but she does have the dark patch above the anal fin) .The male Platy just followed her about almost as though he was looking after her , but this morning was chasing her up and down the glass and when she found a place to hide he was frantic untill he found her again. Now ths evening her colouring is changed, her front half , head and stomache ,is still golden(they are sunset platys) but from her anal fin to , say, her shoulder ,back to her tail has turned bluish/gray.
What sex ratio are the platies? They need to be 1 male to 2 or more females as the males constantly harass the females. If she is due to drop, he is following closely so he can be first to impregnate her again after she drops her fry! You need to separate one of them for a while. Float one in a container in the tank will be sufficient. If it is the female you decide to separate (or perhaps she could go in with the danios and minnows) do not lift her out of the water as it will cause her stress and she may abort. Slide a cup or something under her and lift her out in water.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks ,thats very helpful.

I knew the plec was nocturnal, but haven't noticed any ring marks but will keep an eye on him. Would a larger tank help? Also would the CAE sleep at night while 'Alan' (the Plec :D ) is out?

I've been watching the platys (1 male 3 females) all evening and the male is still chasing her to the point of her not getting a moments peace.We did consider gving him a 'time out'! My daughters Danio/minnow tank is not heated so I'm not sure it would be suitable for putting her in, and also if she dropped her fry wouldn't they eat them?

Thanks
caroline :)
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:17 am

The tank is plenty big enough and if the plec does not seem bothered by the CAE then I wouldn't worry. He probably gets out and about freely after dark. As long as he is getting enough food.
The female platy will need time out more than the male! The fry will get eaten by the mum and other fishes in the main tank as much as by the danios or minnows but as that tank is not heated it will not be a good place to put either male or female.
Lots of plants is the easiest answer. This gets the female out of the male's line of sight (out of sight, out of mind) and gives the fry plenty of hiding places. Bushy, fine leaved plants are best like ambulia, cabomba, water sprite, Indian fern or Java moss.
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks Carylnz,
I put the thermometer in my daughters tank this morning and it read about 73 this afternoon and thats in a shady spot.
We'll keep an eye on them though, Im not even sure if she is pregnant anymore! All the females colouring looks off ,I thought it was just me but the male looks good.
Thanks again.
caroline

Postby caroline » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:50 pm

I've just seen a tiny weeny baby fish! hope theres more and they can keep out of harms way!
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:36 am

If you have seen one there are bound to be more hiding somewhere. Even if the majority get eaten you may get 3 or 4 per batch survive.
Males are more brightly coloured than females and if they are being chased all the time the females will be a little stressed.
Carylnz

Postby ady » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:25 pm

male live beares can be a bit of a sex pest at times :roll:

i had a sailfin mollie that would try it on with my gouramis and most other tank residents..randy sod..

i've just got 8 platies of various clour...needed to brighten the tank up..these have done the trick....

plec love muching on a bit of cucumber courgette,weighted down in the tank...this is gives em a supplemental food other than algae or algae tabs......

:)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby caroline » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks for all the info .
Im keeping a very close eye on everyones behavior, unfortunatly I havnt seen the babies for a while now, think they may have all been eaten, but they could just be good at hiding.I have added extra plants and some bog wood. The 3 babies from a previous 'litter?' are growing strong so if they servived maybe one or two will appear as they get bigger.
Are scissor tails likley to mate? I noticied some unusual behavior a couple of nights ago .
Regards
Caroline
caroline

Postby caroline » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:10 pm

I'm not sure about two of my platys tonight . They deem to be hanging at the surface of the water a vit subdued and their tails are a bit droopy. One of them is still a funny colour, any one any idea?
caroline

Postby caroline » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:12 pm

hi everyone,
Just a quick question , What do I do with the young Platies when they are grown? , Im a bit concerned about inbreading if I leave them in the tank.
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:26 am

You can leave a certain number in the tank and generations will interbreed. That is the way of platies. You could see if your lfs will take any or advertise them or try and give them away but most people have the same problem. Luckily, most get eaten so they are not too much of a problem.
Carylnz

Postby ady » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 am

have a look on facebook.you may have a local page regarding tropical fish.we have em around ipswich/colchester and sudbury.

place to sell off fish and equipment...i've sold lots od fish thru my local sites....mite be worth a try..
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby wilfy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:04 am

a total noob, what is lfs, seen it mentiond a few times now. :oops: :oops: :roll:
wilfy

Postby SparkyST » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:32 am

wilfy wrote:a total noob, what is lfs, seen it mentiond a few times now. :oops: :oops: :roll:

I think it is "Local Fish Shop" but I am not 100% sure either as I am a fairly new noob. :D
SparkyST

Next

Return to Freshwater Discussion