nitrite

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

nitrite

Postby caroline » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi
I don't know if this is a new subject, in fact I'm sure its not , but ithought I'd ask anyway. I water test with dip sticks, probably not the most accurate I know, but foundto be simple. Clorine ok pH ok gh was in the red so got the past 4 weeks have been using ro water for water change and am gradually bringing it into a better range . The only thing I can't seem to budge is the nitrite levels, they ate always at least 50or maybe a bit more. Should I investin s more accurate test , or are these levels ok?fish all seem to be very happy.
Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks.
caroline

Re: nitrite

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:42 am

How long has the tank been set up? Ammonia and nitrite should be 0.
I would invest in a better kit as the dip sticks are so inaccurate to be pretty useless in my opinion.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 am

Sorry, I ment nitrate... :oops:
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:37 am

Test your tap water as it is 50 in many regions. Test immediately out of the tap then stand the water for 24 hours and test again.
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:58 pm

ok ,Illl do that.
We've only had the tank about 5 weeks and after I started testing I found the GH to be at the top of the scale of the test strips so according to the instruction started doing my regular water changes with RO water and have seen the GH come down slightly(do I need to be cautious about bringing it down too far? ) but nothing I do seems to effect the Ntrate.
I have been using this site to read up more on nitrates.
caroline

Postby caroline » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Ok just tested tap water and the result was much lower. I'll have to test the RO water aswell but that won't be untill wed or thur.
The RO water is having an effect on the PH and KH too and Ikm concerned about making the water too soft. Should I just go back to tAp next water change?
caroline

Postby Carylnz » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 am

The ammonia and nitrite are more important. If they are 0 I would not be too concerned.
Carylnz

Postby caroline » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Ok ,just done the 24 hour test on my tap water and Nitrate is a bit less than the tank water, but tank waters Ph and Kh are are going a bit low. I think next water change I wont go for the RO water I'll just use tap.Before i started reading up on all this I would probably have just used tap with tap safe in it and been done with it, now I m worried that my efforts to make everything just right will do more harm than good, meaning the levels of everyting arnt stable. .Its too easy to worry too much. I think I would like to get a better testing kit (is there one you would recommend?) or should I just carry on maybe doing alternate weeks of RO and tap?
caroline

Postby ady » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 pm

i use as do most the API freshwater test kit...it does..ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph.....the major one's too concentrate on..
other kits for kh etc are available but i dont use em.

only ever done my changes with tap water/dechlorinator...nitrate levels can be controlled by larger,more frequent water changes.my tap water has 20ppm nitrates.

nitrate is the end result of the filter bacteria's useful work dealing with the ammonia and nitrite.so water changes reduce the amount.or you can use live plants,to feed on the nitrates and therfore reduce the levels aswell..

easy to grow are anubias,java fern...these need atttching to wood/stone...depending on your lighting strenghts you can have more demanding types..
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby caroline » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks very much for your advice. We havn't had our tank that long and when we took it we used the original. Water so I've never done a cycle from scratch. But you confirmed to me what I had been working out from reading all the posts andinfoon this site.I will get a newtest kit tomorrow and maybe dolarger water changes. At the moment I'm doing10 - 15% ,should I do 20%? Also I have beenbuying more plants as I think I have too much phosphate and have some blackness on some leaves , which ibekieve is hard to get rid of , so my theory is if ther are enough plants to use up the nutrients then it r won't spred so rapidly.
It can't be too bad though, I just saw the baby fish I thought had been eaten!
caroline

Postby ady » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:12 pm

the blackness on the leaves ??...is this on java ferns ?..if so the spots are new plantlets developing..roots will soon be visable if it is....

i do a 25% change every 7-10 days.but filter is mature,so maybe you need to do more..the test kit will be ya best guide for this tho.saying that,never hurts to do a water change while you waiting.just to make sure... :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby caroline » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks Adi,
my filter is mature as we transfered it with everything else in the begining, I will do larger water change this week and see if that bring Nitrate level down. I looked at that test kit today , a little bit more expensive that I was expecting !
I think the blackness is fungus :(
caroline

Return to Freshwater Discussion