FLYING FISH!

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

FLYING FISH!

Postby cobden28 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:00 am

Until recently I had three silver hatchet fish in my 4 ft tropical community tank, then recently there were only two. No signs of a dead body anywhere in the tank, so I presumed the fish had just died and perhaps been eaten. I never thought the missing fish could have jumped out of the tank altogether, as there is usually a dense layer of salvinia on the surface of the tank, plus the lid is close-fitting.

This morning when I went to get the tub of pond fish food from the cupboard underneath the tank, I noticed a small silver triangle.....the missing hatchet fish, dried out and of course very DEAD. I can only think that on one occasion whilst doing my weekly tank maintenance, when the tank lid was removed, the fish in question must have taken a flying leap out of the tank down the back, where the tank is up against our living room wall. Had the fish taken its flying leap from the front of the tank and landed where we could see it there'd have been a chance the fish might still be alive today. Even had we noticed the fish jump out of the back of the tank, we couldn't have moved the tank just to rescue one fish in so short a time.

So do I consider getting some more hatchets to keep the remaining two company, and risk any or all of them deciding to take a flying leap out of the tank? Should I keep a dense layer of floating plants at the top of the tank, in order to discourage hatchets from going flying again?
cobden28

Re: FLYING FISH!

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:27 am

Hatchets are very skittish and known to take off at the slightest provocation. It is most likely it was startled during a water change. They are actually calmer in a larger group so chances of it happening again should lessen if you have a bigger group of them.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:01 am

Is it a good idea to have a dense layer of floating plants, or is an area of open water at the surface better from the fishes point of view?
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:10 am

T be honest, I have no idea! :roll:
An interesting question though. If they are not labyrinth fish then I think you could cover the surface. Not sure if they could feed as well though. I have not kept hatchetfish.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion