Low pH problem

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Low pH problem

Postby Adamaki » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Where I live in Stirling the water is soft (<20ppm). I've been keeping fish for 3 years and it hasn't caused any problems but recently I started playing around with DIY CO2 to help my plants grow (I've not had much success yet but that's another story!). Anyway I measured my pH tonight after bubbling CO2 into the tank for a few days and the pH has dropped from the usual 6.8-7.2 to 6.0. I know that acidic water is good for my amazon fish but that seems a bit too acidic! I'm assuming that the CO2 is lowering the pH in the absence of buffering minerals in the water. The problem is what can I do about it? What's the best way to buffer the water to prevent the pH dropping too low when I inject CO2?
---------------------------
125L Jewel Rio

9 penguin tetras
6 neon tetras
3 Corydorus sterbai
2 Boseman's rainbows
1 common plec
3 Apistogramma cacatuoides
Adamaki

Re: Low pH problem

Postby julielawn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:13 am

I am new to this forum and am just stabilising my newish small tank, and have found my ph is dropping, I think too low now at 6.4, but not even sure whether this is dangerous to my 3 tiny cherry barbs, so will be interested in other replies to your question, good luck, Julie
julielawn

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:44 am

CO2 will drop the pH and I think your suspicions are correct. Try adding bird grit (used by people who keep chickens) to the filter (or in a bag hidden somewhere in the tank).
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Adamaki » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks for the advice. Do you think a few shells in the filter would work? Also what will the increased hardness do to my CO2? Will it not neutralise it so it's not available to the plants?
---------------------------
125L Jewel Rio

9 penguin tetras
6 neon tetras
3 Corydorus sterbai
2 Boseman's rainbows
1 common plec
3 Apistogramma cacatuoides
Adamaki

Postby Carylnz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:31 am

I have not used CO2 so can't help there but I have heard of others who do, and use shells etc to help the pH.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion