new tank 728 ltr..opinions and advise needed

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

new tank 728 ltr..opinions and advise needed

Postby robo426 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi all.....had fish for many years.....but not for the last 6years.so just ordered a new tank 84 x 24 x 24".............my last tank was 9ft x 3ft x 3ft......which i built for my red tail cat fish, it was built into my wall so couldnt move it...filter for this was 2x 56 gallon drums when i house moved....hence the new tank on order...cant use drums for filter in new property.

Plan for this tank is just comunial fish for now

few questions and advise needed and views

1. i have a 4ft tank that i can use for a sump tank.....yet to divide into separate chaimbers for filter medias
how many separate chambers and what media would you guys use or recomend....last time i used old fashioned hair rollers....and koi matting

2. What sort of pump would you have to turn this water around....( have used central heating pump last time)
on return to tank will have a ventura to get oxyegen in tank....plus i want a spray bar

3. ive always liked to have airating the filter media chambers.....so what air pump

4. gravel or sand bed for main tank....last tank no gravel or sand for red tail ( when about 36" the fish was too much hassle for floor bed)......never used sand for comunity tank b4....is it any good

5. heaters what size..........last tank was an emersion heater...cant use this on me new set up...ideal i wouldnt want heater in main tank

Thanks all for reading....i no bit long winded...but thought better than numerous posts

just 1 more promise...........I need a good fish supplier around the skegness area so does any one no of good supplier...ie no poxy pet shop who no jack crap rearly

cheers Rob
robo426

Re: new tank 728 ltr..opinions and advise needed

Postby markee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I can offer you no words of advice as i've never kept a tank that big, yet lol. good luck with it though & let us know how you get on :wink:
markee

Postby Carylnz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 am

I suggest you go to monsterfishkeepers.com. Although your tank will be small, compared to many there, they will have the information you require.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby robo426 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:07 am

thanks guys looked at site carlynz gave.......some interesting reads on thier...........thanks
robo426

Return to Freshwater Discussion