ammonia problem help!!! :-(

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

ammonia problem help!!! :-(

Postby raffy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:12 pm

hi
i have a 100litre tank containing 2 golden gourami ,1 angel fish, 4 silver mollies, 2 Congo tetra, whip tail catfish and Bolivia ram, i have 15mg/l test on ammonia. i have done water changes every other day for about a week and half. i made a big mistake about a month ago by changing all the filters at once now i lost all the bacteria as i am i new to freshwater fish, i took advice from some one at a pet store (which now i know never to do again) what should i do?

thanks
raffy
100 litre tank
400 litre tank
2 gold leaf rainbow fish
4 red tailed rainbow fish
3 golden rainbow fish
2 silver mollies
1 x-ray tetra
1 plec
8 guppies
raffy

Re: ammonia problem help!!! :-(

Postby Carylnz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Just keep doing daily water changes until the readings come right.
What dimensions are the tank? I fear it may not be big enough for the congos.
Do you know anyone else with a tank from which you could get some established media?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby raffy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:38 am

The dimensions are 2 and half foot long by foot wide by foot and half deep. Congo tetras?? can you please tell me more as to why you think its not big enough? by established media you mean tank water from somebody else?

thanks
raffy
100 litre tank
400 litre tank
2 gold leaf rainbow fish
3 golden rainbow fish
2 silver mollies
1 x-ray tetra
1 plec
8 guppies
raffy

Postby Carylnz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:41 am

Congo tetras really need to be in a group of at least 6 as they tend to be jumpy. They also need a long tank (at least 40") and are very sensitive to water quality.
Yes, I meant established media, or squeezings, from a mature tank. This will give your filter a boost.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby raffy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:28 pm

ok thank you for your advice and help much appreciated :D
100 litre tank
400 litre tank
2 gold leaf rainbow fish
3 golden rainbow fish
2 silver mollies
1 x-ray tetra
1 plec
8 guppies
raffy

Postby ady » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:27 pm

agree with the above advice...shame you got told some load of old tosh at a shop...it happens alot im afraid...especially in PAH stores,there advice is rubbish....

you are in effect recycling the tank now.keep up the water changes,maybe feed a bit lighter for the time being to help with the water quality..

only clean a filter when it's flow drops.only wash media in old tank water,never tap water or bye bye bacteria again..

you will get there,dont worry.....as for the store that gave you the pants advice,vote with ya feet and never return..it's disgusting that you can run a shop selling fish and be that useless.anyways you found this site now.....it's a great source of info...good luck in getting ya tank sorted out....and yes a filter media squeeze would do you the world of good if you can get one from another fish keeper....
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby raffy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:28 pm

hey thanks for the advice ady, my problem sorted now 0 ammonia, so happy that fish are not swimming about in a toxic environment, at least i know never to do that again, but in the process i lost my golden gourami as it looked like it got ammonia poisoning which was a real shame. thanks guys
100 litre tank
400 litre tank
2 gold leaf rainbow fish
3 golden rainbow fish
2 silver mollies
1 x-ray tetra
1 plec
8 guppies
raffy

Return to Freshwater Discussion