Spike, ammo, nitrite..........

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Spike, ammo, nitrite..........

Postby straty44 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:24 am

Can I have your thoughts on what causes a SPIKE, what first signs to look for, how to stop it before it kills your fish, lets have a debate.......
When you keep fish for love, do it with your heart, not your brain”
straty44

Re: Spike, ammo, nitrite..........

Postby Carylnz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:03 pm

It is a natural part of cycling although, if done correctly, the 'spike' should be just a barely noticeable blip. You will also get a spike if you add too many fish too fast, have a fish die and rot, overfeeding or a suddenplant or algae die off.
I am not sure what we are supposed to be debating as it is not debatable. If the ammonia, nitrites or nitrates start to rise, do an immediate water change. Keep doing this and look to correct the cause. It should fix it quickly.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby straty44 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Lots of things to debate carylnz, It's only a friendly debate,really about balance, what about fish gasping at the top of the tank, first signs of a problem, the blip is when people see dead fish then act, it is then too late, some clean the filters too well, killing a lot of bacteria, or washing the filter in tap water, a big water change at the wrong temperature , or ph is not right, having an out of date test kit, gives a false reading.............its just a debate for others to put there feed back on, I think your really clever, and I have been to new Zealand and love it..........hope others join in and keep it friendly........
straty44

Postby markee » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Caryl has listed the usual suspects but you could add to the list: poor tank maintenance, overstocking, incorrect filter size. I would say the most common would be adding fish too soon or overfeeding. Flicking is an early sign that something is not right in the tank. I don't know about others but i'm constantly looking in my tanks & from that i would like to think that if something is wrong i could spot it early (ie fish behaving/looking different)
markee

Postby straty44 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Good points there Markee, I think constantly looking for stress etc is a must, after all, it's all about making a comfortable environment for the fish............
straty44

Postby ady » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:38 pm

all the usual covered methinks....

any of the above can trigger it.of course it depends on the size of tank,as to how quickly problems manifest.

i personally check my tank when i come down stairs in morning...water temp okay ?.....filter running nicely ?

are all the fish swimming okay ?......

as tank is in the lounge i watch it more than i do the telly......count the numbers of fish.......

if i see anything suspicous i check it out right away.....first point of call is the test kit and water change....

with an amply stocked(but not over stocked) tank and suitable filtration you just have to feed correctly and be vigilant.regular water changes will keep the toxins in check..

allowing any new additions into tank must never be rushed.....

a bit of wisdom,common sense and access to this site should see anybody right... :wink:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby straty44 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:38 pm

Very well put Ady, just what I do, wish mine was next the tele, I have to sit in the dinning room to watch them............
straty44

Postby ady » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:40 pm

thanks stratty....

my tank is approx 5 ft from the telly.....so a quick look right and the telly goes bye bye..hello my fishy friends...no repeats either..

never loose the remote either :rofl:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby straty44 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 pm

ady wrote:thanks stratty....

my tank is approx 5 ft from the telly.....so a quick look right and the telly goes bye bye..hello my fishy friends...no repeats either..

never loose the remote either :rofl:
This made me :D :D :D
straty44

Return to Freshwater Discussion