goldleaf rainbow fish

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

goldleaf rainbow fish

Postby raffy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:11 pm

i recently purchased a pair of goldleaf rainbow fish, need some advice about there mating nature, the male seems to be knocking the female around alot is this normal or a form of bullying?

thanks
100 litre tank
400 litre tank
2 gold leaf rainbow fish
4 red tailed rainbow fish
3 golden rainbow fish
2 silver mollies
1 x-ray tetra
1 plec
8 guppies
raffy

Re: goldleaf rainbow fish

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 pm

The Goldie River Rainbowfish has been spawned in both groups and pairs. The males can be very aggressive towards the females and a group should therefore consist of at least 2-3 females for each male. If you want to keep a pair only, ideally pick a large female.
They need lots of hiding spaces and like hanging roots and branches to feel secure.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:13 pm

i love my rainbows...got 4 blue adults and 3 bosemani juvies !

they love to zip around so as they grow a bigger tank will be needed.im not certain on this variety but they spawn on spawning mops or fine leaved plants in the aquaruim.

a bigger ratio of females - male will spread the behaviour,altrhough most rainbows can be hard to sex at juvie stage.....

i will have to reasearch that fish now...mite add to the rainbow collection. :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby ady » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:18 pm

had a quick looksie......lots of hiding places are needed for the pair....java moss or spawning mop can be used.

remove the mop/moss or predation will happen
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby raffy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:11 pm

ye they are really nice just added some red tailed rainbow fish and the goldleaf rainbow seem happier there all whizzing around the tank. i dont have a planted tank at the moment as i carnt afford the co2 kits etc. but while im here i have an angelfish and notice some white specs on her fins now im wondering if she got white spots?? any idea thanks
100 litre tank
400 litre tank
2 gold leaf rainbow fish
3 golden rainbow fish
2 silver mollies
1 x-ray tetra
1 plec
8 guppies
raffy

Postby ady » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:12 pm

not all plants need to have co2.......i dont use it.but would consider it if i was going over to a well planted tank

my plants growing well without it....have a look on tank talk and i have a vid...

i only use a cheap liquid fertilizer...early days but the results seem great..

if you got good lighting and fast grwoing plants it will improve your water quality loads.....since getting the cabomba,i have noticed a drop in nitrate levels.....it's lower in tank than from tap.
ady

Postby raffy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:48 pm

sounds great think ill do some research into getting some plants then :-) thanks
100 litre tank
400 litre tank
2 gold leaf rainbow fish
3 golden rainbow fish
2 silver mollies
1 x-ray tetra
1 plec
8 guppies
raffy

Postby raffy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:52 pm

nice tank love the setup, also your blue rainbows stand out really like them hopefully il be getting a bigger tank soon and start up a rainbow tank. colors are amazing
100 litre tank
400 litre tank
2 gold leaf rainbow fish
3 golden rainbow fish
2 silver mollies
1 x-ray tetra
1 plec
8 guppies
raffy

Return to Freshwater Discussion