Community tank suggestions please

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Community tank suggestions please

Postby Lemonizer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:10 am

I have a 300 litre tank containing 8 guppies, 6 coreys and 1 red tailed shark. I want to add more varieties but I need to be sure that the new fish will be compatible with the present occupants, suggestions please. It's not a planted tank.
Lemonizer

Re: Community tank suggestions please

Postby Carylnz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:50 pm

Just about anything sold as "community fish" would go in there. What sort of look are you going for? A few larger fish or lots of smaller shoaling species?
That tank would be ideal for gouramis, various tetras, rasboras, barbs, rainbowfish to name a few. You may have problems with the red tail though as they are very territorial and it might object to anything else being added.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 pm

i do have a weakness for rainbows :wink:

have a think ...a few statement fish...or large shoal of smaller...which would you prefer to see....

my rainbows have never caused any hassle to smaller fish like tetras...also got on well with gouramis

pearl gourami are gorgeous...so are the opaline varient of the blue gourami.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby PeterMcgee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:37 am

I have a few boseman rainbow fish in mine which when mature are half blue/orange in colour and very striking but you can get specific blue and red rainbow fish, i also have 4 odessa barbs which again when matured are like electric red but they do show colour when quite young also.

Google them to see true colours
PeterMcgee

Return to Freshwater Discussion