what stocking out of these choices for 55gal??

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

what stocking out of these choices for 55gal??

Postby mrvillicus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi everyone, im new to this site and i have just bought a fluval roma 240 55gal. Im stuck on what to stock it with...which choice out of these lists would you go for>

1) 30 columbian tetra, 3 clown loach, 6 corydoras melini, 2 german blue ram
2) 15 neon tetra, 15 columbian tetra, 6 corydoras melini, 2 german blue ram
3) 2 angel fish, 20 columbian tetra, 6 corydoras melini,
4) 1 severum, 3 clown loach, 30 columbian tetra

any ideas or suggestions, I would ideally like 1 centrepiece fish (green severum if poss) a shoaling species such as the columbian tetra and then a few others including bottom dwellers such as the corydoras

thanks ben

p.s I have an APS 2000LPH external, 1 seio 3200lph powerhead & 1 300lph powerhead, 1 300w heater
mrvillicus

Re: what stocking out of these choices for 55gal??

Postby Carylnz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Choice is really up to you but be aware severums are semi-aggressive cichlids who are usually put with similar sized fish who can hold their own in an argument. They can be a bit scatty at times and easily startled. They also have a tendency to munch on plants. I have not kept one myself so don't know how one would go with Colombian tetras but they are ok with bottom dwellers.
Severums, rams and clown loaches all require excellent water conditions.
If you go for choice 3, be aware that if you add the angels first they will claim the whole tank as their territory and it may be difficult to add other fish at a later date.
The corys need a mature tank so I would not add them to any tank that has been running less than at least 3 months.

Have you looked at Boesemani rainbows as a feature fish? Or Congo tetras. They need to be in a group though.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:06 pm

agree.... on the rainbow fish,they make a lovely statement colour in the tank....

are the power heads running a filter or just for flow/circulation in the tank ?.....with that amount of flow i imagine any
neons would get a bit of a battering

forgot to say welcome to TTT 8)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby ady » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:13 pm

was looking at columbian tetras too...need to get a schooling/shoaling fish.to fill out the tank.....

but am tempted by some pacific blue eye rainbows too.......you may notice i like the rainbows... :wink:
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Freshwater Discussion