Algae Cleaners

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Algae Cleaners

Postby SkyBlu63 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:19 pm

I was wondering what the best way or item to clean the algae from the front glass. It's got enough scratchs from the previous owner, so I'm trying not to add anymore.

I'm currently using a razor blade scrapper which works ok but isn't long enough.

Thanks
Geoff
SkyBlu63

Re: Algae Cleaners

Postby ady » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:37 pm

i use a pan scourer,that is fish tank only use.never had any chemicals in it.

also have a magnet cleaner and half an old bank card for the stubborn stuff..

i use the magnet most of the time and the other 2 if really needed.the scourer is great when doing a large area during major water changes...never caused any scratches.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby SparkyST » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:16 pm

ady wrote:i use a pan scourer,that is fish tank only use.never had any chemicals in it.

also have a magnet cleaner and half an old bank card for the stubborn stuff..

i use the magnet most of the time and the other 2 if really needed.the scourer is great when doing a large area during major water changes...never caused any scratches.

+1 on Ady advise. I use a magnet cleaner and if need be a pan scourer
SparkyST

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:12 pm

I was advised by a glazier to never use the magnet cleaners and I can see why as that is how I got scratches on my glass - they pick up bits of fine gravel and drag them across the glass as they clean.
I use a plastic pot scourer and it works very well. An old credit card or similar for stubborn spots. I also use the wide wallpaper razor blade scraper on occasion (although these can also scratch on the edges as the blades bend).
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby chopper » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:39 pm

ive scratched my tank with my magnet cleaner and would never use one again (it was only a few week old too) i have a sponge with scourer on back and use that and find if you clean it regular it manages fine
chopper

Postby ady » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 pm

good point about the magnets getting fouled.....i give mine a clean up and check every now and again...good ol toothbrush to the rescue :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby markee » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:30 pm

I use a magnet (although like others i have fallen fowl to scratches!) i mainly use a sponge scourer as i find it less course than a normal scourer. I also use a scraper set from Fluval, it has a couple of different attachments to fit on the arm, with one of them being a double bladed metal scraper (like a razor)

http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Maintenance/Cleaning/11013
markee

Return to Freshwater Discussion