Red cherry shrimp question

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Red cherry shrimp question

Postby ChrisJ95 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 am

I had about 5 cherry shrimp in my tank, which bred quite recently, just about tripling their number. I have noticed Imthat some of the offspring are quite a dark brown colour - the same colour as bogwood. Is this a common colour mutation? Thanks for any replies :)
ChrisJ95

Re: Red cherry shrimp question

Postby englishmx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:38 am

I looked into this a few months ago, as I also had some 'brown' shrimplets appearing from my RCS, here is the explanation I found....

'It's mostly just natural variation. Before hobbyists got a hold of them, Neocaridina heteropoda was primarily brown. Selective breeding has greatly enhanced the red color in the cherry variation. Same with yellow shrimp, same species, bred for a different colour. Granted, females *are* generally more colourful than males, but your brown shrimp are simply the "ancestral" form of modern cherries'
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Rob W » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Mine have bred quite a few times, I have everything from bright red to burnt orange and one or two very dark ones too. One is mottled red with dark spots and it's HUGE!
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby englishmx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Rob W wrote:Mine have bred quite a few times, I have everything from bright red to burnt orange and one or two very dark ones too. One is mottled red with dark spots and it's HUGE!

Interesting Rob, I often have Orange ones appearing also

It's playing havoc with my selective breeding as I refuse to 'cull' hence my ever increasing number of shrimp tanks :lol:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby ChrisJ95 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks for the replies :) I quite like the brown ones, but I can see myself having an overcrowded tank if they bred again, will have to see if I can find them some new homes. These didn'ft get the chance to be eaten by fish as young'uns, found the buggers in my external filter...
ChrisJ95

Return to Freshwater Discussion