Dwarf gourami.

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Dwarf gourami.

Postby cobden28 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:49 pm

I have a 4 ft tropical 'community' tank in our living room, fairly heavily planted and with a healthy population of tetra's, mollies/platies/guppies, Sterbai corydoras, a pair of bristlenose catfish, three honey gourami and a trio of dwarf chain loaches. All live amicably together and are fed on a variety of dried food with live as an occasional treat.

A few months back I added a male dwarf gourami followed by a female later on, when I could find a female that is! The male seems to be in fine fettle and spends most of the time just under the surface of the tank, beneath a layer of salvinia. I've seen him blowing bubbles in one particular area and his colouring is very intense, is this what's meant by 'breeding condition'?

The female is smaller than the male; he does try to attract her attention and draw her towards 'his' area of the tank but with no signs of violence towards her. Assuming I have to wait for the female to grow a bit bigger, is there any likelihood of them spawning in a community tank?
cobden28

Re: Dwarf gourami.

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:22 am

I am sure they can spawn in there but you will not be able to get any fry as eggs and/or fry will be eaten by all.
Usually the female is a bit bigger than the male but hey, if he can walk the walk and talk the talk, then good on him! :wink:
Yes, they display really bright colours when ready to breed. He will then build a bubble nest to show prospective mates he is a good provider and can build her a beautiful home.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:18 pm

Just when I thought things were going fine for my dwarf gourami, in the week before Christmas the male suddenly dropped dead for no aparrent reason. He was in fine fettle when I switched the tank lights off at bedtime, and the next morning he was upside-down on the bottom of the tank and very obviously dead - but with no obvious signs of illness or disease, and everyone else in the tank looked fine also. :(

Ten days ago I took the plunge and added a pair of dwarf gourami to the tank, having discovered it might be best to have more than one female to each male. I don't have a separate quarantine tank at home so took my time searching for healthy fish from a reliable source, and they went straight into the tank.

Two days later I had quite a surprise; the new male had been busy building a huge bubblenest and he was seen to be engaging in spawning activity with the existing mature female :D :shock: . The nest only lasted a couple of days, though, and I very much doubt if any fry would stand a chance of survival as I have a shoal of black neon tetras in the tank which are very effective for population control of fish fry. Last weekend - another bubblenest and more spawning :D , so it looks like my basic tank set-up is OK for these bautiful little fish.

As I type this there's signs of bubblenest nest no 3.When I move house later on this year, methinks a separate tank for my dwarf gourami might be on my agenda :idea: (I've got the heater & filter unit, just no space for another tank right now). What size would be best - 18" or a 2' tank (sorry, i don't 'do'' metric measurements!).

Life is looking good :)
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:55 am

this gives a good description of what is needed. Good luck!
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion