rainbow cichlid breeding behavior

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

rainbow cichlid breeding behavior

Postby cheapchickens » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi all, my rainbow cichlids are breeding again for the 2nd time that i'm aware of. The 1st time the male pushed the female away after he had fertilised the eggs and it was mission impossible for him to gaurd them 24/7 on his own. The rams were quickly having a swipe as were the barbs. I thought 2nd time round he may have thought 2 is better than 1. but obviously not and he has pushed her away again. just wanted to know if this is normal behavior or I may not have a strong bonded pair? Will they get it right soon? Probably had the rainbows for about 4 months. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20 nitrate. Can anyone give any of their experiences? thanks in advance
:D
cheapchickens

Re: rainbow cichlid breeding behavior

Postby markee » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:29 am

That's the beauty of cichlids, the unpredictability! Some will get it right first time, some take two, three or more attempts. My Blockheads took a few attempts to get it right :lol: That fact that they are spawning would say to me the bond is ok, it might be that the male is stubborn & won't admit he's wrong! I would let them spawn a few more times to see if there is any change in their behaviour, the fact that they are non-aggressive is a bit of a minus for them, it might come down to you having to remove some of the other inhabitants to increase the survival rate :wink:
markee

Return to Freshwater Discussion