red tailed black shark

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

red tailed black shark

Postby dotsfish » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:18 pm

could anyone tell me could i keep a red tailed black shark with 3 upside down catfish or will he hassle them
dotsfish

Re: red tailed black shark

Postby Carylnz » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:27 pm

Hard to say. A lot depends on the personality of the shark, the size of the tank, the order in which they were added and the time between additions.
Sharks are very territorial but this often does not show up until they reach maturity and all hell breaks loose.
If the tank is 4ft or larger you should be fine but I would have concerns in something smaller although, depending on the shark, you might get away with it in a 3ft tank but that is minimum size for a shark anyway.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby dotsfish » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Carylnz wrote:Hard to say. A lot depends on the personality of the shark, the size of the tank, the order in which they were added and the time between additions.
Sharks are very territorial but this often does not show up until they reach maturity and all hell breaks loose.
If the tank is 4ft or larger you should be fine but I would have concerns in something smaller although, depending on the shark, you might get away with it in a 3ft tank but that is minimum size for a shark anyway.

thanks i have a 4ft tank might give it a go. i have the catfish about 5 years i would hate to see anything happen to them. HAPPY NEW YEAR
dotsfish

Postby Carylnz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:41 pm

If you are that attached to the catfish then I would not risk adding the shark. Although it may start out fine it may not stay that way and you often have no warning until you get up one morning to find your favourite fishes dead and one very smug looking shark :(
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby englishmx » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:47 am

Carylnz wrote:If you are that attached to the catfish then I would not risk adding the shark

As above :)

Not worth the risk
Mike...
englishmx

Postby dotsfish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Ta i wont take the risk i will get a few corys instead
dotsfish

Return to Freshwater Discussion