Question on lighting - is Blue Moon bulb sufficient?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Question on lighting - is Blue Moon bulb sufficient?

Postby davidjp1982 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:40 am

I have recently set up a Fish Pod 48 Litre tank and in the process managed to break the "Bright White" daylight bulb. There is a second "Blue Moon" bulb which I guess is for simulating night light levels although I am going to be setting the lights on a timer to turn off over night. The blue light effect is very cool and shows off the colours of the fish and gravel etc. My question is - would a blue moon bulb be sufficient as the only bulb, as the tank is near a window and would get steady low levels of ambient light throughout the day, or will using only the blue light affect the fish negatively. Thanks in advance for any help.
davidjp1982

Re: Question on lighting - is Blue Moon bulb sufficient?

Postby davidjp1982 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:42 am

Forgot to say that the species I am planning on keeping will be Zebra Danios and maybe some Neon Tetras and a Plec.
davidjp1982

Postby ady » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:52 pm

yes you can use that,unless you have live plants.

tanks need ambient light but not direct sunlight...this will cause temperature fluctuations and can lead to algae problems
as the natural light makes em go mad....

i would get a new daylight bulb when funds allow,but you will be ok in the mean time

what plec do you have ?.....coz they get big and 48l aint gonna last em long i'm afraid

welcome to TTT :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby davidjp1982 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi thanks for the response :) I have 3 small live plants in there they actually seem to be growing pretty fast so they must be happy enough in there. I haven't got a plec yet I may just stick with Danios for now and wait until I get a larger tank.
davidjp1982

Postby ady » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 am

I would forget the plec too.the produce a lot of waste.
Danios are perfect for cycling the tank.keep up the water changes
To reduce the toxins while the filter builds up its bacteria stocks.

The bacteria are the real filter,they feed on ammonia and nitrite.
This turns into nitrate,which is removed by water changes and fast
Growing plants.

Keep stocking light.its a small tank which means probs can
Appear quickly due to the small volumes ability to dilute the
Toxins.manypeople fail at this stage coz they over stock,the waste builds
And fish go to heaven :wink: .if you see fish gasping at surface
Or flicking against gravel/ornaments its ya signal that all is NOT good.
If it happens do a major water change (50%).
Never wash filter media in tap water,only old tank water
or ya bacteria goes bye bye.never over clean it either.
Welcome to a great hobby.have a good read of the forum
and dont be afraid to ask questions on here.we a friendly bunch.
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby davidjp1982 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks Ady - sorry I thought I had replied to you already but it obviously didn't post!

I have just picked up a "Bright Day White" bulb today but I can't seem to find any solid advice on how to split the time between the "Day" bulb and the "night" blue moon bulb. People suggest leaving lights on for anywhere between 6 to 12 hours a day...does that include switching over somewhere in that time scale to the blue bulb, and then leaving all lights off overnight? Or should I leave the blue moon bulb on overnight? :? Can anyone help please :)
davidjp1982

Postby julielawn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 pm

I had a new tank for Christmas with a day light bulb and a blue bulb so will be very interested to hear how to split the time between the bulbs too ? I sometyimes have both my bulbs on together but this may be the wrong thing to do !!
julielawn

Postby davidjp1982 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 pm

julielawn wrote:I had a new tank for Christmas with a day light bulb and a blue bulb so will be very interested to hear how to split the time between the bulbs too ? I sometimes have both my bulbs on together but this may be the wrong thing to do !!

Personally I have given up on the blue bulb since it is at least 2 years old. I have read that after a year you should replace them or they encourage algae growth as they shift towards a different end of the spectrum. What I do now is let the tank gradually brighten with natural light then the bright daylight bulb comes on on a timer at about 2 pm until 10.30pm when it turns off. This leaves a couple of hours of dimmer light from the living room lights until I turn off for a night. I figure the gradual shifting between lights is less stressful for the fish than going from pitch dark to full on bright light then fluorescent blue to pitch black again. I'm sure it would mess with my head after a while :)
davidjp1982

Postby brodie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 am

Hi all .. !
I am personally using this buldb and its have good light, but i think its mostly depends on the size or growth . Lights changes with the situation of tank .

Please make a suggestion.

M-Tech's wins Mayors Innovation GC Award
brodie

Return to Freshwater Discussion