Annoying little springtail critter things

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Annoying little springtail critter things

Postby awesomefishes » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Hi all, found some strange little critters hanging around above the waterline on the glass, apparently they're Springtails :?

Just wondering if they're harmless or not, would they eat my snails' eggs?

Also, since they're a pain in the bottom to catch/squish, can you think of anyway of trapping the little bliters?
awesomefishes

Re: Annoying little springtail critter things

Postby awesomefishes » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Okay noone's answered and to now I've already bought 2 betta's using my initiative and they've sorted it out

Do many people actually use this forum? Or am I just talking to myself
awesomefishes

Postby Gary fergusson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi. I use it but I'm no fountain of knowledge so I won't be much help :D Hopefully someone will be for you!
Gary
Gary fergusson

Postby Neveraliein » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 pm

I think you'll find that people only reply if they feel they may be able to help. I looked up springtails as I'd never heard of them and I could find nothing much yesterday. I have now found this http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9631 that may reassure you?

Are both the bettas male and in same tank?
Neet
Fluval 125L
3 Gold Barb, 5 Tiger Barb
2 Cherry Barb. Plants. Soft, alkaline water

45L tank
7 Cardinal Tetra & some shrimps
Neveraliein

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 am

I hadn't heard of them either and assumed they were something we didn't have in my country but when I looked them up it appears we do - in large numbers.
Springtails are minute, wingless insects about 1/16 to 1/8 inch (1 to 2 mm) long. They sometimes alarm homeowners when seen outdoors in enormous numbers, appearing as "piles of soot" in driveways, backyards, on mud puddle surfaces, etc. Occasionally, they enter the home in damp areas such as in basements, cellars, bathrooms, and kitchens, especially near drains, leaking water pipes, sinks, and in the soil of over-watered house plants. They usually appear in the spring and early summer but can be found all year round. Some are known as "snow fleas," because they appear on the top of snow during late winter and early spring. Springtails do not bite humans, spread disease or damage household furnishings. They feed on algae, decomposing vegetable matter, bacteria and fungi.
Eggs are spherical and about 0.2 mm in diameter. They are laid singly or in clusters. After about 10 days, the eggs hatch into juveniles and in 6 days mature to adult. Adults live up to one year.

I also found this on a NZ site...
There are more than 6 000 described species in the world, with many more species still unknown to us. Collembola are ubiquitous members of terrestrial ecosystems, found everywhere from Antarctica and the sub-Antarctic islands to rainforests and warm beaches. Springtails can be dispersed by wind and ocean currents, or by man, and many species have wide distribution ranges.
At least 241 species of Collembola are known from New Zealand, and many more are still undescribed. In New Zealand occur some of the largest and most extraordinary CoIlembola found anywhere in the world, such as endemic Holacanthella species. Collembola are too small and too numerous to be considered animals in need of conservation. They are not protected in New Zealand, although the giant endemic species are remarkable. In Tasmania there is a reserve dedicated solely to a species of Collembola, Tasphorura vesiculata. It is called the Springtail Reserve.

So I don't think they would eat snail eggs.
As their appearance is probably cyclical, I would wait for them to die off again as I suspect it is a seasonal problem.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby awesomefishes » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Ah! Thanks anyway for the link Neveraliein :)
awesomefishes

Return to Freshwater Discussion