nitrates ggrrr

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

nitrates ggrrr

Postby cheapchickens » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi all, I would like to know if anyone has had any success in removing nitrates from their tank? And if so what method did they use? I have done some research on the net and can see people have done different methods like a reactor and such. I was going to get a really small filter about 150lph and put some nitrate removing media in there like fluvals or seachem but I'm unsure if this is a waste of money? I do have a nitrate sponge in my filter now which comes with the juwel trigon but I dont actually think it does anything. My nitrates are probably about 80 and I do 25% water changes every week. It's 40ppm out of my tap. I have 3 rainbow cichlids, 4 rams, 11 barbs, 2 kribs and 4 rummy noses which are going to get increased week by week to about 15.
If anyone has used any media that has worked or any other methos please let me know. Thanks :D
cheapchickens

Re: nitrates ggrrr

Postby cheapchickens » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 pm

ok, just read Alans post below on nitrate. Im going to try the air method and test in a few days. If anyone else has any ideas in the meantime let me know, I will explore all opportunities. Thanks :D
cheapchickens

Postby Carylnz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 am

It is normal to have a certain amount of nitrates in the aquarium. Check your tapwater too as many areas have high nitrate levels. Mine is often 40ppm+ :roll:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:25 pm

my levels at tap are 40ppm too......

planted my tank up a lot recently,watched my levels drop like a stone in the tank.....now hardly any at all... :D

i have anubias,mini anubias,crypts,amazon swords,java fern and java moss...

only have a single light unit at the mo,if you have more light,you could try a fast grower like cobomba......
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Tommy Saville » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:44 pm

My tap water has nitrates around 40 (SevernTrent near Grantham) and I have 2 200-litre tanks each with 6 big Discus. I feed with frozen beefheart 3 times daily. I had a real problem with high nitrates in the tank, so came to the conclusion that a Pozzani NR600 nitrate filter would be the best solution. My mains water is now filtered through 3 filters situated under the kitchen sink..one removes chlorine, one removes heavy metal ions, and one removes nitrates 100%. So all water changes are done with nitrate-free water. The main problem is the cost of filter cartridges. Doing the amount and frequency of water changes, the cost is 50p per day, but I accept that because my fish are in perfect condition and give me so much pleasure.
Tommy Saville

Postby cheapchickens » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Unfortunately I'm in rented property so filters under the sink are a no no for me. But I have seen an inline reactor somewhere ah here http://www.shirleyaquatics.co.uk/aquari ... mover/AWNR
Failing that I think I will go down the same route as Ady I already have a couple of amazon swords and anubias so I will probably add a few more and see how it goes.
I've cut feeding down to every other day for now, I hate nitrates lol :D
cheapchickens

Postby cheapchickens » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 pm

oh and if anyone has ever used this product if they could let me know what they made of it that would be great cheers :D
cheapchickens

Postby prussell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 pm

I built myself an anaerobic denitrator powered by an external canister filter that works extremely well using a five litre spring water container. My nitrates are usually <15ppm. I used siporax and deniballs for the media but I don’t think that the type of media is critical. What is critical is the flow rate which I discovered to be around 12-15 ml/min and there lies the problem. When the denitrator is working, it produces a gelatinous substance that my son likens to nasal secretions. This material is so viscous that it accumulates and obstructs the outflow from the denitrator thus causing the flow rate to lessen until the point is reached when the redox potential falls so low that the obligate anaerobes start to reduce sulphates (SO4-) to produce hydrogen sulphide (H2S).
This problem was ameliorated by siting the flow control valve on the supply side of the denitrator and using a larger bore pipe on the return. I contracted the system such that I can purge the pipes daily using a fifty ml syringe that keeps the system flowing. Obviously, holidays are a problem so I open up the flow to maximum that keeps the bacteria alive but suspends the reduction of NO3 while I’m away.
I have used nitrate absorbing granules and found them to be effective but the cost is considerable when used routinely.
prussell

Return to Freshwater Discussion