Tank mates for me fishies

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Tank mates for me fishies

Postby exfishnoob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:08 am

So...Posted in the beginners forum about current state of things. Kind of thinking about what to stock in about a month after things settle down. was considering the boesmani rainbows...about 6 or 8 of them, and perhaps some Denison barbs again, 6 or 8 for the 90 gallon, to go with the tin foil barbs and the rainbow shark. will be moving my plec there after I start to see some algae as well.
for the smaller tank ( 45 gallon), I was trying to figure out who would be good tankmates for the corydoras, ( there's 3 right now) the albino rainbow and the 3 angelfish. was planning on getting an otto after the plec gets moved...but would like some schoolers to add some movement to the tank. any suggestions?
exfishnoob

Re: Tank mates for me fishies

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:35 am

Are you talking Imp or US gallons? What are the actual dimensions of the tank? This is more helpful.
Boesemanis are gorgeous and attract attention.
Denisonii barbs need a lot of swimming space. I wanted them but only have a 4ft long tank. I would not put them in less than 6ft of length. They also need to be in a group of 6 or more, another reason they would not suit your tank as I suspect it is 4ft?
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby exfishnoob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:35 am

Yes. The 90 gallon tank is 4 feet long. US measurements. It is 4 feet long, 1.5 feet wide, 2 feet tall. Lol not good at metric conversion. :) 340 L is what the conversion chart says.
exfishnoob

Postby exfishnoob » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Ok. Rainbows for the bigger tank. ( the 4 foot/90 gallon US) Still no idea what-so-ever for who I can add to the 3 foot ( 40/45 gallon) tank though. It has 3 koi angels, 3 corydoras ( peppered I think) and an albino rainbow shark. was thinking of a few ottos once my juvenile sailfin plec moves to the 4 foot and of course a couple more corys to replace losses incurred before I knew about cycling/mature tank requirements :( , but would like to add some mid level shoalers. Don't like livebearers, as I see no reason to add live fish food ( fry) for the angels to eat.
exfishnoob

Postby Carylnz » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Yes you have to be careful what you add with those angels. As they grow they will become very territorial (often the case) and if 2 of them pair up bedlam will ensue!
Any of the mid sized barbs, tetras or rasboras would suit.
Get more peppered corys as the different types don't tend to mix and they are happier in a group.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion