how many fish and what kind in a 14 gallon?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

how many fish and what kind in a 14 gallon?

Postby luvmykrib » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:52 pm

I have a 14 gallon tank with some live plants. I originally had 5 tiger barbs, 2 black phantom tetras, a knight goby, 5 algae shrimp, 1 kribensis, 1 golden ram, and a relative of the rainbow shark I don't know what its called I lost all the barbs just recently for reasons unknown, and also the tetra. And I'm pretty sure I'm about to loose my golden ram, its not looking to healthy. Any way I kno it was a little overstocked but I was wondering if I should put any more fish or just leave it? It seems a little bare to me now. Now that its just the shrimp, krib, the shark, knight goby, and for now the ram. The water conditions are ok, there's a slight spike in ammonia but thats cuz I just moved and pretty much drained the entire tank. Anyway just wondering what else I can put in there, if anything?
luvmykrib

Re: how many fish and what kind in a 14 gallon?

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:39 am

What are your tank dimensions?
What sort of filtration do you have?
What is your maintenance routine?
What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
I can't imagine any shark species is suitable for what I suspect is a 60cm x 30 x 30 tank.
You have an odd mix of fish that do not share the same requirements, not to mention the shrimps!
Before considering whether to add more, you need to work out why the previous fish died (I suspect poor, or incorrect, water parameters) and fix that. Then you need to research the requirements of fish before purchase to make sure they are suitable for your size tank and compatible with other species there.

Knight gobies come from Asia and need 70L (your 14 gallon is 53L assuming you are using US gallons. You don't give your location) minimum with a soft, sandy substrate and hard alkaline water, or a small amount of salt. They will eat anything smaller than themselves and are nippy. They will harass other fish that inhabit the lower level of the tank.
Tiger barbs also come from Asia and need to be in a shoal of at least 5. Preferably more. They need a base 80cm x 30cm minimum with lots of plants and a dark substrate. They will also be nippy, especially in such small numbers in a small tank.
Black phantoms are Sth American and, like the goby, need 70L minimum. They prefer acidic water 6 - 7.5pH and will lose their colour in hard water.
Kribs come from Africa and can be very territorial. I would not put one in smaller than a 90cm x 30 x 30. Another fish that prefers it acidic they also need lots of plants and hiding places.
The gold ram (I assume you mean a ramirezi) is Sth American and needs acidic and very good quality water.
The shrimps are what I assume are Amano (we don't have them in my country). They like alkaline water and should only be kept with small, peaceful fish.

So, as you can see, most of your fish are not suitable for your tank size and some are not compatible with others. The ones you have left are not compatible either and will either attack others, or die.

Fish more suitable for your tank would be guppies or smaller fish like cherry barbs, neons, Hengeli rasboras and other fish that size.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Re: how many fish and what kind in a 14 gallon?

Postby luvmykrib » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:30 am

Sorry yes its u.s gallons. The Tank is 20 inches long, 16.5 inches tall and 10 inches deep. The nitrites are at 0, nitrates are about 10 and like I said ammonia has spiked, its between .25 & .40, hardness is between 120 & 250, alkalinity is between 180 & 240, and ph is about 7.5. I'm not sure that the "shark" is even a shark. It is the shape of a rainbow shark but looks different. Its very peacful, I have had them all for about 8 months now. I have tried guppies they all kept dying on me. I have 2 filters on there, 1 is a aqueon 20 and the other came with the tank it's a aqueon 10-15. I change approximately 30% of the water once a week. And switch off rinsing one filter every other month (in the bucket of old tank water of course).
luvmykrib

Return to Freshwater Discussion