Eggs?

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Eggs?

Postby jzaine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:16 am

When I checked on the tank this evening I instantly noticed the sand had been disturbed. In the middle of the hole I saw this. Now, I'm no expert but they look like eggs. My guess is they belong to the rosy tetra's but I can't be sure until they hatch. The rams are still rather small and I highly doubt they are sexually mature. I will update this thread when/if they hatch.
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Re: Eggs?

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:20 am

Remind us what else is in the tank. Rosy tetras are egg scatterers. laying on leaves. Rams spawn on flat surfaces.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jzaine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 pm

12 rosy tetras
5 German blue rams
1 bristle nose pleco
3 common hatchets
"We feel your passion through and through, Philadelphia fans I love you." Harry kalas 1936-2009
jzaine

Postby jzaine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:19 pm

I checked the tank this morning and found a pair of rams guarding the nest. Looks like I found the parents.
jzaine

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:14 pm

I was going to say it must be the rams but couldn't remember what else you had. Bristlenose eggs are easy to identify as they are a lovely orange/yellow colour 8)
You will find good information here
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby jzaine » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks again Caryl!
I really wasn't expecting them to pair up and spawn; at least not this soon. Judging by that link the pair was probably established soon after they were introduced. They started "twirling" within a few days. I'm working on finding a suitable LFS for the fry if they survive. Since the fish is rare around here and I'm not looking to gain anything from them. As long as I know they know how to take care of the fish. I will keep you posted and trt to get a better photo. I appreciate everything.
jzaine

Return to Freshwater Discussion