Best agent to increase KH

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Best agent to increase KH

Postby Absolver » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:24 pm

My pH is about 7.2 and my KH is between 2 & 3. My tank has guppies platys zebra danios two shrimp and a snail and these typically prefer a little higher KH. I've got sodium bicarbonate, potassium carbonate, and calcium carbonate on hand. Any suggestions on which to use?
Absolver

Re: Best agent to increase KH

Postby Carylnz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Not sure which of those to suggest as I would use crushed coral, dolomite or limestone. These would give more stable results without the need to keep adding stuff from a bottle.
My danios and guppies always lived at 7.0 but I have not kept shrimp. I would have thought 7.2 was good enough without the need for fiddling.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Absolver » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:54 pm

7.2 is beautiful. I'm trying to increase the dKH. Guppies ideally want 6-11 dKH and invertebrates want about 8-14 so my target is 8dKH.

Coral and lime stone are actually the same thing. Lime stone is made by coral and sea shells being compressed over eons. And chemically that is calcium carbonate. Dolomite is calcium magnesium carbonate. I use Epsome salts to add magnesium as that's magnesium sulfate.
Absolver

Postby Absolver » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda. Calcium carbonate is lime stone or crushed coral but I have a pure form used as a dietary supplement. Magnesium sulfate is Epsome salts. Potassium carbonate is widely available for food use and industrial applications.
Absolver

Postby Carylnz » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 am

Well, I was less technical but believe I answered your question :mrgreen:
Carylnz

Postby Absolver » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Hey speaking of Dolomite. I have read it is a bad substrate to use in fresh water aquaria. But what if A) you only have guppies which prefer hard, higher pH water and 2) you don't use it as a substrate but just put a large chunk in? I am planning out a planted tank and I'm thinking putting a big chunk of Dolomite in will help my water parameters and just look pretty. And also guppies are my favorite.
Absolver

Postby Carylnz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 am

Dolomite is often used here in the substrate of planted tanks. I have not heard anyone say it is bad for a tank. I am no expert on it though!
I can't see adding a chunk will do any harm.
Carylnz

Postby Absolver » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:21 pm

I suppose what ill do is get the tank and plants set and drop a chunk in and give it a week with regular water tests and see if my parameters are where I'd like lol
Absolver

Return to Freshwater Discussion