question on feeding

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

question on feeding

Postby Absolver » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:28 pm

So I have three different food stuffs for my fish. I have a color enhancing omnivore flake mix. I have an algae based flake mix, and I have "veggie rounds" wafers. They all sugge st different feeding schedules. And my lfs had yet more. The color flakes say Fed twice daily. The veggie flakes have no suggestion. The veggie rounds say feed thrice daily. And my lfs says feed once daily.

So I have two questions. Firstly, how many times a day should I feed my fish. And secondly, I don't really know how much to give them with the rounds. I know with flakes it's as much as they can eat in 1-3 mins. But what about with rounds? They take longer to eat regardless. The rounds are approximately half an inch across and as thick as a typical coin. Round about the size of a dime (U.S.).
Absolver

Re: question on feeding

Postby Carylnz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:28 pm

Feeding is very much an individual choice and depends on the size and species kept.
A little, often, is best but not achievable for those who are not home all day.
Once a day is plenty but if you want to feed 2x, say before and after work, then go for it. Just remember the fish are usually small and their stomachs make up a very small portion of their size so feed accordingly.
Personally, I feed twice a week. This means my fish are more active and always looking for food. It also means I can go away for up to 2 weeks and not worry about having to feed them at all.
Another side effect is I have little algae :wink:
I would not do this if I had fry, or large cichlids. Both need feeding more often.
I also have a well matured, heavily planted and lightly stocked aquarium.
Those veggie pellets go a long way and are usually for bottom feeders. One per bottom feeding fish is plenty. They slowly break up and get eaten by the other fish too.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Absolver » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:05 pm

I've found most of my fish feed throughout the water column. I originally got the veggie wafers for my ottocintus but literally every other fish in the tank ate it before he did. I've got two guppies, two platies, four zebra danios, the otto of course, two ghost shrimp and a snail. The flakes trend to fall almost immediately and I've observed the shrimp eating them. I don't have any algae problems as of yet. In addition to my tank cleaners I have a moss ball that (allegedly) will reduce the levels of algae supporting nutrients in the water. At sine point I'd like a week planted tank though.
Absolver

Postby Carolann » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:56 pm

I feed once a day usually as the lights come on about 2pm, but once a week I don't feed anything.
I do feed courgette as my 2 crabs and most of the fish including my otto's and butterfly loach go mad for it. I have an assortment of feeds so give them a bit of a change.
Carolann

Return to Freshwater Discussion