Pearl gourami query.

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Pearl gourami query.

Postby cobden28 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:17 pm

A few months ago I added two small pearl gourami to my 4 ft community tank; they've settled in fine and are eating and growing well, so no problems there.

At the time of purchase the fish were too small to sex with certainty although I think one was a male because of the extensions to his ventral fin. Now both fish have these extensions to their ventral fins, their pectoral fins and throat areas are starting to colour up nicely orange so I'm now fairly certain I have two males. Will two males live happily together in the same tank without quarreling, or would I need to add a couple of femalesto 'keep the peace'?
cobden28

Re: Pearl gourami query.

Postby Carylnz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:20 pm

They should be fine, especially as they have grown up in there together. They are one of the most peaceful gouramis. You might find a pecking order if one ends up a lot larger than the other but the tank should be large enough for them to be quite happy.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby cobden28 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Both pearls are the same size.
cobden28

Postby cobden28 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 am

I'm now absolutely positive that both pearls are males; they have the long extensions to their dorsal & anal fins and have coloured up nicely in their throat and belly areas.

One has even appeared to have built a bubble-nest, but as there's no female in the tank there can be no outcome from thr nest :( . Is it normal for a male gourami to build a bubblenest in these circumstances?
cobden28

Postby Carylnz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:20 am

Yes :mrgreen:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Freshwater Discussion