Shrimp

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Shrimp

Postby orange guppy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi,
I currently have a few red cherry shrimp and red rili shrimp, in with guppies, in a partially planted tank with a bit of an algae problem. Was wondering whether anyone else has kept these or any other small shrimp, either with fish or without and what you found them to be like?
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Re: Shrimp

Postby englishmx » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:16 pm

I am a shrimp keeper/breeder, not a fish in the house these days! Just the pond outside :lol: I have tried them with small fish but found the fish 'pick' at the shrimp and generally will finish them off eventually (remember shrimp are right at the bottom of the food chain)

Some keepers claim to have no issues keeping small fish with shrimp, I can only assume that these are in heavily planted tanks with lots of hiding places! and breeding is going on to keep the numbers up. If you want the shrimp to help with your 'algea' problem, they will do little or nothing to help.
Mike...
englishmx

Postby orange guppy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks for the reply, at the moment the fish seem to not appreciate the shrimps antennae, if the shrimp touch the fish with them they dart off, I haven't seen the fish pick at them, but will keep an eye out for it. I’m going to be planting the tank up more soon, but I’m going to make sure the plants have been washed a few times in between soaking for about a week, as it is recommended if the plants are put in a tank with shrimp they soak for at least 48 hours. Hopefully the shrimp will have more cover then and also the plants may remove nutrients that the algae have been growing from (although the tank isn't in an ideal place near a window). Although I may end up with a shrimp only tank eventually as they are great.
10 gall - Guppies
12 gall Guppies
30 gall- Guppies
Kept Guppies 2004-2007 + 2011-
orange guppy

Postby SparkyST » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:39 pm

I started with 6 cherry shrimp with 6 neons, 6 glowlight tetras and 6 black neons. I now have lots of shrimp and the fish dont really bother with them. Occasionally I have seen them go for them and eat one but the population of shrimps is still growing!!
SparkyST

Return to Freshwater Discussion