Algae problem and a lazy plec

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Algae problem and a lazy plec

Postby strider » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi all
i have had my tank for about 3 to 4 years, but just recently i have been getting a serious build up of algae, the tank hasnt been moved so its not sunlight, and my plec has obviously become very lazy as he doesnt seem to clean the glass as he has in the past. I have been feeding him algae wafers too. should i stop feeding him and hope he resumes his duties. And can any one suggest another method of algae control ie snails etc.

Thanks for any help you may have. :?
1 x Rosey Tetras
1 x Serpae Tetras
5 x white Molly
6 x Cardinal Tetras
1 x Bristlenose Plec
6 x harlequin Rasbora
12 x Assassin Snails (soon leaving for a new home)
strider

Re: Algae problem and a lazy plec

Postby Rockfish » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Hi,

If your bristlenose plec can get 'easier' food then it will be less inclined to eat algae, so if there is plenty of algae in the tank it might be worth reducing the food targeted to the bristlenose such as the algae wafers to see if it consumes more algae instead.

Sometimes a combination of algae eaters can work well. If your assassin snails are being removed, then you could try zebra nerite snails as they will help with algae on hard surfaces such as glass, rocks, etc. Otocinclus catfish or Siamese Algae Eaters are good for removing algae from plant leaves. Algae-eating shrimp are great at this too, but small ones would be at risk from some of your fish, but adult Amano/Japonica shrimp should be ok.

Of course, it's important to consider eliminating the potential cause of the algae. If it's not excessive light, then it could be nutrient levels. If the tank is planted, boosting plant growth should help. If there are no live plants, removing excess nutrients with more water changes might help.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Carylnz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:14 am

Bristlenoses are usually only keen to eat lots of algae when they are young. Once they get older they lose interest.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby strider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks so much for your replies.
Will Ottos mix in ok with the plec, he can be a little protective of his space . And the zebra snails, i havent come across these are they very common ? :)
1 x Rosey Tetras
1 x Serpae Tetras
5 x white Molly
6 x Cardinal Tetras
1 x Bristlenose Plec
6 x harlequin Rasbora
12 x Assassin Snails (soon leaving for a new home)
strider

Postby Rockfish » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:21 pm

The zebra snails are becoming ever more common, especially as they go well with shrimp in nano tanks. Quite a few shops stock them now so it might be worth checking your local ones.

The bristlenose might chase oto's out of his immediate space or favourite cave but he's not likely to do them any harm. Oto's sometimes have a reputation for being delicate, but if you get ones that have been at the store a little while and are well settled they should be ok. Mature tanks with some algae and natural biofilm suit them best. It would be worth checking that the algae growth isn't due to high nitrate levels as that could affect new additions like the oto's.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Discussion