Dyed Fish Petition

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Postby Vix » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Is this still happening in the UK?

I've signed even though I'm a novice at all this fish keeping business :D
Vix

Postby Switch01252 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 pm

yeah if you look in the catfish topic their is a topic where i found blue tailed albino corys 2 weeks ago looked so unnatural
Steve
Switch01252

Postby JennaBeth42 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:57 am

are Glo fish painted?
JennaBeth42

Postby Bala Shark Mama » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:41 am

if i remember correctly, glo fish are genetically modified (through cross breeding) not painted.
Currently fishless
Bala Shark Mama

Postby ricky 2 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:55 am

Shona is spot on the glo fish have jelly fish dna and i think are banned in the uk now ? :wink:
ricky 2

Postby JennaBeth42 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:07 pm

ok thanks because they have very bright colors, and the ones that i had didnt do so well so i was wondering if painting was the problem
JennaBeth42

Dyed fish vs glo-fish

Postby Rasborine Fan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:33 am

Interestingly, one can view glo-fish as being less ethically objectionable on the grounds of animal cruelty, as the fish undergoes no unpleasant procedure to acheive the desired colour effect. Dyed fish, on the other hand, must have the colour applied (by whichever means) and this necessarily involves stress for the animal. Some of the Parrot Cichlids popular in the far east (with geometric patterns and in some cases I believe corporate logos?) are truly repulsive, yet they are not illegal.
Yes, glo-fish are illegal in the UK as they are GM organism, but are not produced by selective breeding; rather the animal's genetic makeup has been altered by artificially introducing other genetic material, which I personally find to be objectionable but at least it doesn't hurt the resultant animal.
I like 'drab fish'; I just don't see them as drab!
Rasborine Fan

Postby magicmayhem » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:09 am

ricky 2 wrote:Shona is spot on the glo fish have jelly fish dna and i think are banned in the uk now ? :wink:

Glo-fish are indeed banned in the UK and it is not possible to get them from anywhere... :wink:

I definitely don't have a dozen babies in my kitchen :wink:
400 litres of lovely ammonium free water, a breeding pair of Oscars and some mental Lemon Barbs.
magicmayhem

Postby Fishguy8558 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:11 pm

I just signed it you guys are doing a great thing just to let you know! :D i just wish more people would sign!!! I mean its a great idea! :)

Thank you
Braden :D
Fishguy8558

Re: Dyed Fish Petition

Postby Kazjp » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:40 am

I mistakenly bought 4 of these dyed fish and it was not until I researched them that I realised how they had their colour. Even when I asked the staff in store about the fish and said how lovely they looked they did not tell me they were dyed. I will not be buying from the shop again out of principle but at least these fish will have a good home. And I will do more research in future with any coloured fish! I have now signed the petition
Kaz

Cardinal tetras, bristle nose Catfish (+babies), Harlequin Rasbora, Dwarf Neon rainbow, Ember tetra, sparkling gourami, swordtail, killifish, widow tetra,
Kazjp

Postby Timshill » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Signed
Newcomer to fishkeeping and this forum, is there a list of shame of places to avoid that are known to dye fish ?
As a newbie i dont have the trained eye like most of you have for telling the difference and would hate to accidentally buy one of these fish
Timshill

Postby Britfish » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:26 am

I went into my fish shop this week to find these.
The picture was taken on the phone and hasn't captured the colour very well but they are the 'blue/green widows'. A highly fluorescent colour that looks a bit tacky in my opinion. I was told they are dyed from the food they eat. I needed to buy some honey gouramis there as I was completing my pairs in the tank but will not be going back here again.

The problem I have is I am running out of places to buy fish from. I have already boycotted the other fish store due to appalling customer service from the owner and now don't have anywhere left. :(

Britfish

Previous

Return to Freshwater Discussion