Blank Canvas #2

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

Blank Canvas #2

Postby Orodreth » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:34 am

Hey, I know I was only new but I thought I'd follow you all to this new forum anyway as you all seem nice and friendly (although we'll see if any of you are secretly fin nippers or something :P ).

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but it's about freshwater and a tank so this seemed good .Anyway, in the last post I made, I asked what you would put in a completely empty (apart from water, plants etc. obviously :wink: ) tank. The one I should be getting is about 150 - 160 litres I believe and measures roughly 82x45x60cm. I don't know the exact specs as it is from a friend, not a shop.

The requirements for the fish are that it is a community tank, with maybe a couple of colourful ones for aethetics (although this is not a necessity, just a desire).

Apart from that, any suggested lists are great!
Thanks.
Orodreth

Postby dw » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:07 am

You've got plenty of options, nice size tank as well :)

You could try a south american type community, e.g. shoal tetras, some corydoras for the bottom, maybe a pair of dwarf cichlids and a bristlenose? Well thats what I'd be doing anyway lol

Depends what your after really, do you want a centrepiece fish with the tank built around that, or is there anything you really like the look of?
Andy
dw

Postby TigerBarb » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:13 am

Well I'm a well-known fin nipper.... !!

I have recently set up a community tank - I wanted lots of activity (can't stand fish that just sit there!) and plenty of colour. I also wanted tiger barbs, which meant that I couldn't have anything with long fins unless I wanted to subject them to torture!

I have
tiger barbs (3 colour varieties)
Odessa barbs
blue tetras
Lake Kutubu rainbowfish (larger, centrepiece fish)
various corys (three-line, panda and Sterbai)
siamese flying foxes (algae control)

I'm not saying you have to have the same (of course, you can choose your own fish!!) but I think these are fabulous!

Enjoy!!
TigerBarb

Postby Wolfgirl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:16 am

You could try some dwarf cichlids with a shoal of other fish, i.e., tetras. Some of the Apistogramma species are quite colourful, and they've got real personality too.
Don't let your mind wander. It's too small to be let out on its own.
~John Wagner
Wolfgirl
Site Admin

Postby Orodreth » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:13 pm

Some nice ideas already, it's really getting me thinking! :D
I hadn't really thought about a 'centrepiece' fish but I will now. Oh there's so many fish I love the look of, why didn't I get into this hobby sooner?!
Orodreth

Postby Apistogramma » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:44 pm

*Looks at Orodreth's fins but decides not to nip this time*
Apistogramma (especially Agassizii) have always fascinated me. I found a description on the forum profiles and followed it up until I found 'the real thing' on a site, and today they arrived! I also really like Microgeophagus (rams) and discus.
Why not wander around a fish store without any money and see which ones hold you hypnotised the longest? My fish choose me I think!
If you picked one species you really, really liked then those with the knowledge around here could help you devise a really good stocking list around your must-have fish. If you ask us for suggestions you'll probably end up with everything!
Becky

*Aimlessly drives around in the steam roller with Karena's now fairly blunt scissors...and Lisa's hedge trimmer*

Apistogramma

Return to Freshwater Discussion