?? pirahna tank questions ??

Discuss all aspects of freshwater tropical fish and aquariums.

?? pirahna tank questions ??

Postby prehistoricwillie » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:16 pm

Okay i have a tank of 10 pirahna (species only) about 2 yrs of age. its your normal gravel on bottom, with a canister filter. they were bought from a local pet store as babies, and ive had em ever since then.they get pellet food, a mixture of growth and color pellets. we would like very much to breed these guys now that their all growed up' and would like to know exactly how and what i have to do to get a little romance goin' on would be a great help. educate me!
prehistoricwillie

Postby digger » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:11 pm

i used to have a tank of them too but i have no idea how to get the fishys in the mood sorry i couldnt help
24 in-36in-6 ft
2 - jaguar cichlids 2 plecs

18 in - 24 in 42 in
4 comets 1 albino corys 2 pirannah tetras 2 bronze corys

24 in - 24 in- 36 in
2 comet 2 blood parrots 1 bristle nose3 albino corys 2 bronze corys 1 pepper cory

Angie
digger

Postby markee » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:46 am

markee

Postby krekra » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:54 pm

I had a few at one point that I had rescued from a military guy being shipped out. I did a lot of research on them as I was trying to figure out if I had the means to properly care for them. Most of the sources I found said that the tank size should be about 40-50 gallons for the first fish and ten gallons for each additional fish and that they like to be in shoals of 6+. The more the merrier to make them feel safe and dissapate any agression. From what I read at the time, it is very very hard to get them to breed in a tank and then to be able to get the fry out before they are eaten. Your best chance is have them in a very very large tank with lots of plants either real or fake for the younger ones to seek shelter in.
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby curly » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:07 am

Hi there!
Your piranha (I take it they're Red Bellies?) should pair up automatically. The mating colours go very dark then one will swim round in circles to create a hole in the substrate to spawn in. Once the female has laid the male will fertilise then look after the eggs.
When the fry have hatched and free swimming, transfer to a seperate tank using the same water as in the other tank. Feed newly hatched brine shrimp (that have been washed) until they can eat bloodworm etc.
Hope that helps?
1x Serrasulmus Manueli 5"
1x Serrasulmus Rhombeus 6"

Communtiy tank - Asstd tetras, shrimp and Spiny Eel
curly

Postby calsonic » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:35 pm

try this site i wish i could have some :cry:

http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/lofiv ... p/f14.html
calsonic

Return to Freshwater Discussion