Juwel Vision 180 filter improvement

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Juwel Vision 180 filter improvement

Postby Manty2 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:44 pm

Hi, recently purchased a Juwel tank, just over a year after getting into hobby. Have to say, so far a little disappointed with power of filter. Doesn't seem to clear debris away very efficiently. I have seen quite a few people suggesting adaptations to the filter to make it more efficient. Some people have even suggested removing the filter altogether to replace with an external filter. Interested in your views. Thanks John
Manty2

Re: Juwel Vision 180 filter improvement

Postby Rockfish » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi John,

Usually the Juwel filters work reasonably well on a tank with average stock levels, once they're matured biologically of course. They can struggle on heavily stocked tanks.

One option to upgrade is to go to the next pump size up, the 1000 LPH pump fits straight in to replace the 500 & 600 LPH models. Some of the foams can also be replaced with the Cirax ceramic media for more bio surface area.

If the tank will be really heavily stocked, e.g. a Malawi cichlid setup, then I would opt for a second filter, ideally a canister filter to run alongside the Juwel filter - the two should work well together. Or if you really prefer to remove the Juwel filter you could opt for a well oversized canister filter.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby Manty2 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Many thanks Sean, really appreciate your thoughts. John
Manty2

Postby Manty2 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:35 pm

Just so you know Sean, I like a bit of variety so have an interesting mix of 6 corydoras, 2 dwarf rainbow, 2 gourami, 2 kribensis, 4 danio, 2 panchax, 5 tetra and one leftover platy. Started using prime for water changes and as said earlier have one of the ceramic boxes, is it cirax. Always open to advice!! Thanks again. John
Manty2

Postby Rockfish » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi,

Yes if you have the ceramic box that will be Cirax, it usually comes as standard in more recent Juwel aquariums.

With a mix of average sized community fish that are not heavy polluters, I would expect the Juwel filter to manage reasonably well.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor