Couple of questions re canister filter

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Couple of questions re canister filter

Postby TigerBarb » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:21 am

Hi all - hopefully someone can shed some light on these queries for me...

I have an Aqua One CF-1200 filter on my first tank - had it a few months now, but I'm still finding out what I'm supposed to be doing!

I believe the filtration within the canister is from top to bottom, with filtered water going back to the tank from the bottom of the canister. There are 3 baskets - the top one has a sponge insert in it (which I squeeze in tank water occasionally); the middle one has ceramic noodles (every so often I left the basket out and slosh it around in tank water); the bottom basket has black plastic balls which float as soon as I take the middle basket out - I have once plunged my arm to the bottom of the canister and lifted out the basket to rinse the balls.

Question 1 - am I doing the right things so far?

Question 2 - squeezing sponges and rinsing media is all well and good - but the canister itself is still full of gungy black water. Should I empty this occasionally and refill with cleaner tank water?

Question 3 - I have bought some polywool to polish the water. Whereabouts in the filter should I put this?

Thanks in advance....
TigerBarb

Re: Couple of questions re canister filter

Postby moocowmoneybox » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:06 am

Hi all - hopefully someone can shed some light on these queries for me...

I have an Aqua One CF-1200 filter on my first tank - had it a few months now, but I'm still finding out what I'm supposed to be doing!

I believe the filtration within the canister is from top to bottom, with filtered water going back to the tank from the bottom of the canister. There are 3 baskets - the top one has a sponge insert in it (which I squeeze in tank water occasionally); the middle one has ceramic noodles (every so often I left the basket out and slosh it around in tank water); the bottom basket has black plastic balls which float as soon as I take the middle basket out - I have once plunged my arm to the bottom of the canister and lifted out the basket to rinse the balls.

Question 1 - am I doing the right things so far?

Question 2 - squeezing sponges and rinsing media is all well and good - but the canister itself is still full of gungy black water. Should I empty this occasionally and refill with cleaner tank water?

Question 3 - I have bought some polywool to polish the water. Whereabouts in the filter should I put this?

Thanks in advance....

After checking out the filter online it does flow the water through the media from top to bottom, and then uses the "ascension tube" to get the filtered water from the bottom of the filter back into the tank.

to Q1 - sounds like you are doing OK. Just remember not to rinse all the media at the same time.

to Q2 - yes it is OK to empty the cannister fully and then have it refill from the tank when you have put it all back together. If you are going to rinse the inside of the cannister then use tank water or dechlorinated water.

to Q3 - polywool as a final polish is normally the last stage of the filtration, so that would mean you need to put it under the black plastic balls (maybe 1/3 of the basket full of polywool and then the balls on top!)

My Rena XP3 external filter has the flow going the other way, the water flows down the outside of the baskets and then comes up through the media. I have sponges in the bottom (1st stage), EHFI Substrat in the middle (2nd stage) and then my top basket is full of polywool. Bear in mind that this is a second filter on my Rio 400, i still have the Juwel internal filter running.

Hope that helps.

btw how are the odessa barbs and the blue thingies (forgot the name!)
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor