help A.S.A.P please

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

help A.S.A.P please

Postby 22Princess22 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:02 pm

hiya
i hope you can give me some advice ...

I brought 3 ember tetras yesterday and none of them made it through the night !!!!!!!!
i think this is due to the place that i brought them from as when i mentioned it to my mum she said she saw a program relating to that shop and that it was saying not to get any animals from there !!

I am also no completely happy with my filter (which im sure there is nothing wrong with, however i have taken a disliking to it) i have looked at the Elite Stingray Filter 10 however i have heard that they are not good if you have small fish in the tank.

1) is this true ??
2) if so then what filter can you recommend for a 20 Liter tank that will contain small tetras and a Betta ??

thank you for any help you can give me, i am very new to this so any advice is much appreciated !!
22Princess22

Re: help A.S.A.P please

Postby julielawn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:26 am

I am returning to tropical fish keeping after 20 years !! but feel very new and inexperienced.... I have inherited a tank the same size as yours 20ltrs, so will be interested in the replies you get from experienced fish keepers. I thought I'd stabilised my water and got everything running smoothly in the tank, bought two male guppy fish, and lost them both within 48 hours, tis sad. So am also looking for help on a newly set up tank, good luck, Julie
julielawn

Postby englishmx » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:41 am

22Princess22 wrote:I brought 3 ember tetras yesterday and none of them made it through the night !!!!!!!!

Have you cycled the tank? Tested the water?

Ember's can be delicate wee souls and should only be put in fully cycled/mature aquariums

Regarding the filter, what type is it? Why are you unhappy with it?
Mike...
englishmx

Postby 22Princess22 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:10 pm

firstly thank you for the reply :-)

I was told that the best small fish to start the aquarium with was the ember tetras, which i was a bit worried about because they are tiny !!
was this advice wrong ??

I had left the tank set up for a week and a bit but as the fish died and i was not 100% pleased with my filter and set up i decided to empty the tank and start from scratch to ensure i get it right this time.

I was given the filter by a family member as they had brought it new and had not used it as they gave up fish keeping. There is nothing wrong with the filter as far as i know but it is not one i would choose and probably because of this i just feel it is not very good and would feel much happier starting the tank up with a new filter that i have had some advice about and been told that it is good.

The stingray elite looks to be a good filter but many people that have reviewed it have said that small fish get sucked into it and die, therefore i would like some advice on what filter would be good but not dangerous to small fish.

I am keen to get a filter pretty soon as i would like to set my tank back up and get on my way towards getting some fish.

Do you know of any good filters for small fish ??

Thank you for any replies you can give me :-)
22Princess22

Postby englishmx » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Did you add anything to the water before you put the fish in? De-Chlorinator?

Yes, bad advise to send 3 Embers to a new tank as first fish after being set up a week :wink: You only have 20L so the options are more limited, they probably suggested them due to their size.

What is the make/type of this filter you are unhappy with?, I am sure it's fine, just trying to save you wasting money :wink:
Mike...
englishmx

Postby 22Princess22 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah I added stuff to the water first
What are good small fish to add first??
Umm I will have to look that up but I know it sounds crazy but I really want to change the filter!!
What do you recommend, have you heard of any filters that are ment to be good??
Thanks
22Princess22

Postby englishmx » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

22Princess22 wrote:Yeah I added stuff to the water first

You need to bit a bit more specific than that if you you want help getting things right and avoiding another Ember incident :wink:

I have this filter running on a 30L Shrimp tank with no problems....

http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Internal/A455
Mike...
englishmx

Postby 22Princess22 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Ok sorry!
I added water de-chlorinator
Should I have added anything else?
Thanks
22Princess22

Postby englishmx » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Water de-Chlorinator is all you need, nothing else is essential.

If you insist on changing your filter, do that first

Introduce a few 'hardy' fish, options are going to be limited with only 20Litres to play with. Ideally you then monitor the water with a liquid test kit and do plenty of partial water changes as required over the next few weeks in order to keep the levels safe for the fish. The filter won't be able to cope with the fish waste (poisoning the water) until it is cycled usually taking 4 to 6 weeks.

Plenty to read abut cycling a new tank and getting and keeping your water safe here........

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm

http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
Mike...
englishmx

Postby juweltanklover » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:05 pm

did you get your fish from pets at home . I have kept fish for over 20 years I have brought fish from pets at home a few times and they have all died 24hours later. My advice to you is to only buy fish from shops who only deal with fish and tanks. We have a excellent one in sleaford . I get all my pond fish and koi carp from him and I never lost a fish that I have brought from him yet. If it a new tank It makes sense to run it for at least for weeks before putting fish in it. I ran my cold water tank for 6weeks before putting comets in it.
juwelltanklover
juwel 800 rekord tank
fluval u3 filter
a not reliable 100w heater
no fish yet new set up
juweltanklover

Postby 22Princess22 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Thank you loads for the replies!!
Yes I bought my fish at pets at home, I definitely won't buy any from them again!! I will make a trip to an aquatic centre that sells only fish and tank equipment.
What small fish are the best to start a tank with?
Thanks again for the help
22Princess22

Postby julielawn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:22 pm

hope you are all up and running now, I started with 2 cherry barbs, they seem quite hardy and all seems happy and water stable now...
julielawn

Postby ady » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:43 pm

yep the advise from PAH is about as good as a 1 legged guy in a nut kicking contest.... :rofl:

sorry to hear of ya losses....

that is a very small tank...never used any tanks that size so have no idea on suitable filter.....have heard that the stingrays aint great tho....

good luck and welcome to TTT
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor