elite stingray filter .. need advice plz

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

elite stingray filter .. need advice plz

Postby Skysters » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:37 pm

we bought a second hand tank , with everything including fish .. it has at the moment a stingray 10 filter .. hubby has read that this is the wrong size for the tank we have ..
48 x15 x 18

if this is the wrong size were going to need to buy a new one , so what sort of filter is the best one to buy and how do we swap them over? without upsetting my water and fish ??i
have had water tests done buy a shop because i have heard the test strips are unreliable , so my local shop tests for free until i can buy my own set of liquid tests n kit , and my water has been spot on all week he checked it twice so far , every thing fine .... today i have changed some water cleaned filter , rinsed sponge once in the water we removed , cleaned filter from the grime in said water , and placed back , (hope i did this right )

Thanx for help :)
Sue:)

Tank Size 48 x 15 x 18 inch
3 x Clown Loach
1 x Golden sucking loach
3 x Platties
2 x Apple snails
10 x neons
Skysters

Re: elite stingray filter .. need advice plz

Postby Rob W » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:16 pm

If those measurements are in centimetres then the filter is fine, it's on the upper end of it's working load but it will do the job. Assuming it's inches you will need an external filter and pump, something like the Fluval 306. Run both filters together for a few weeks and then transfer the media from the stingray into the new filter if you can and stock gradually. Feed small quantities often rather than bang a load in once a day to reduce load on the filter.
River Reef 48 x 2
125L Fluval
240L Fluval
Loadsa fish. And shrimps.
Rob W

Postby Skysters » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:39 pm

thanx Rob yes its inches ..tyyy for the filter tip :) and the know how in changing from one to another , i only feed in small doses now so thats not a problem i have clowns loaches so like to make sure they get a feed at least 2 times a day . :)
Sue:)

Tank Size 48 x 15 x 18 inch
3 x Clown Loach
1 x Golden sucking loach
3 x Platties
2 x Apple snails
10 x neons
Skysters

Postby ady » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 pm

my clownies love blood worm pellets...got em off ebay...bargain
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby ady » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:31 pm

they also like the cucumber/courgette i feed to my bristlenose plecs...

dont leave it too long tho,it will foul the water....
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor