Replacement Juwell Lid/Lighting Unit

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Replacement Juwell Lid/Lighting Unit

Postby highslayer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi guys - this is my first post to please be gentle with me.

I've just been given a Juwel bow-fronted fish tank but the rather flimsy looking lid/lighting unit is damaged.

One of the end clips is broken and also part of the tabs on the central unit is broken too. There is a really flimsy front flap which has one of the end tabs broken and the equally flimsy rear one seems intact.

I dont know which Juwel unit it is as thre is no number on it but it is on a black stand, it has a black bottom and top trim, is bow-fronted, 120cm long, 45(Ish)cm front to back across the centre and it is 63.5cm high. It seems to have a metal frame top and bottom so another question is - does it need a layer of polystyrene between the tank and stand?

I used to keep and breed fish many years ago (central american cichlids) but have been without a tanki for around 15 years now so kind of hoping to get back into it!

Any help or info much appreciate, and thanks

Colin
highslayer

Re: Replacement Juwell Lid/Lighting Unit

Postby highslayer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:19 am

Hi - well a bit more researching and looking through google images and I think the tank is a juwel vision 260

I cant seem to find an actual lid and the silly plastic flaps are a ridiculous price (like £45!) plus the central lighting unit appears to be in the region of around £90 meaning that for a rubbish lid it would be around £135 which I find a bit amazing

I understand new models have filtration units etc built into the lid and wonder if it would be worth getting one of these or perhaps something custom made?

If anyone can help with info that would be great and I also really urgently need to know about the polystyrene as there could be water going into the tank today or tomorrow!

I got the tank with a really nice Juwel 3ft setup for my girlfriend who was looking for a tank for her son, to teach him about fish. That one is perfect, has 3 huge snakeskin discus, a pretty much fully grown angel, decent sized elephant nose, a good sized clown loach and I think I saw the odd decent size tetra-type thing (didnt get to look too closely as the tank needs a new tube)

She doesnt really want the discus or angel so they may end up at mine until they can be re-homed
highslayer

Postby englishmx » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:49 am

highslayer wrote:Hi - well a bit more researching and looking through google images and I think the tank is a juwel vision 260

I cant seem to find an actual lid and the silly plastic flaps are a ridiculous price (like £45!) plus the central lighting unit appears to be in the region of around £90 meaning that for a rubbish lid it would be around £135 which I find a bit amazing

If it is a Juwell Vision 260 then that's the price I'm afraid, the Juwel lighting units & flaps are not cheap.

I understand new models have filtration units etc built into the lid and wonder if it would be worth getting one of these or perhaps something custom made?

No, Filtration units built into the lid are more suited/available for small tanks

If anyone can help with info that would be great and I also really urgently need to know about the polystyrene as there could be water going into the tank today or tomorrow!

Providing you are putting the tank on a 100% flat surface, no

Mike...
englishmx

Postby highslayer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks Mike

The surface will be the proper Juwel stand it came with. I'm old enough to remember all glass tanks needing poly but then these have a metal frame designed to blend with the stand so the poly would look a bit strange (though I could black it up)

I've just discovered that the lighting unit doesnt work either, it seems to have a lot of insulation tape wrapped around the wire close to the unit itself so am guessing it has been hobbled together. Dodgy electrics and water dont sit well with me so it looks like a whole new lid!

Problem is, the cost of a lid, plus filter, plus heater is almost the same cost as buying the whole thing new!

Can you think of any alternatives such as someone who builds lids? I'd rather put the money into something decent than £130 into a floppy bit of cheap and nasty plastic. If it wasnt a bow-fronted tank I'd have a go myself lol!

Colin
highslayer

Postby TheWildHaggis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi

I was in the same situation as yourself at the start of the year, the main lighting unit on my Juwel Vision 180 stopped working. After lots of searching and not finding a cheap juwel replacment unit, i purchased an aracadia light unit, similar to this;

http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/arc ... 9w-t5.html

I then got a bit of wood, cut it to the correct, length and thickness, painted it black, and then attached the endcaps for the tubes. Blens in with the rest of the hood just fine. The main lighting controller sits under the tank in one of the cupboards.

Hope this helps.
180Ltr tank, planted. Established for about 2years.
5 Guppys, 6Neons, 2Danios.
Loads of Red Cherry Shrimp.
TheWildHaggis

Postby highslayer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi - as I said, mine is a bow fronted tank so making something out of wood is a lot more difficult

Considering having an open topped tank now with a suspended lighting unit instead. Rather than get ripped off with the juwel one I may as well put the money into something much nicer lol!
highslayer

Postby wilfy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:15 pm

have you tryed ebay might pick up a simler tank and top verry cheap, worth a try. :idea: :idea: :idea:
wilfy

Postby cobden28 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Have you thought of looking on E-bay?
cobden28

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor