Filtration to suit the fish

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Filtration to suit the fish

Postby Gilian » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:25 pm

I am running a JBL e700 external filter on my rectangular 80 litre tank. I have 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Endlers livebearers, 2 Cory similus and 4 Neon tetra. All the levels are correct and all fish seem happy and healthy. I would like to add a few more Neons to create a better shoal but I think I am up to the max for the filter.

I have been told that if I were to add another filter I could then increase the number of fish, but am not convinced in that calculations can be done on actual water surface. Not by me though, cant get the hang of the maths :? . Also the existing filter is very gentle the way I have it set up which is what the fish I have appear to like. Therefore if I were to add an internal filter too, would this not create too much movement in the water?

I have only been in the hobby for about 2 years and still have loads to learn. 4 tanks of various sizes around the house and stacks of research later, I do have happy fish, but still need advice please.
Gilian

Re: Filtration to suit the fish

Postby Carylnz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:58 pm

It is true that, up to a point, if you add more filtration you can have more fish but...
You also have to take into account the species you are keeping and their territorial behaviour. Add too many fish into too small an aquarium and you can get territorial issues and more fighting as fish try to dominate within the area.
If there is a power cut, or equipment failure, your aquarium will foul faster if it is stocked heavily.
Neons are pretty useless at shoaling together anyway in my experience.

An internal filter may be aimed so the flow hits the aquarium wall, rather than blowing out into the main area. Depends on the type of filter. Some can be swivelled and some can be turned down.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Gilian » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks. I dread the thought of a power failure. The oddish mix in this tank is because I had the neons and endlers in the tiny 24 litre tank that started me off in the hobby. The tank became overcrowded when I was given some fish before I had any other tanks. A Betta and pygmy cory now have this small tank so the neons that had survived were moved. I have now said gift vouchers please rather than any more randomly chosen fish. Well meant but not good for the fish.

I have temporarily put the small filter that I bought for a 10 litre hospital tank that I needed for the Neons last year as they were unwell, some sort of white growth by the mouths. I lost most of them unfortunately. However in order to keep the filter media seeded I put it into the 80 l and it seems that the Harlequins and Endlers enjoy playing in the movement. I thought the Rasbora prefered quiet water?

How particular should I be when trying to give the fish the correct environment?
Gilian

Postby Carylnz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Depends on the species. Most short finned fish enjoy a current.
I like to keep a spare filter in my main tank for use in emergencies.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor