Major problems with Fluval 205

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Major problems with Fluval 205

Postby Lirva » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 am

I have had Fluval external pumps for over 25 years and have had a Fluval 205 working well for the past few years with no problems with an inlet tube and out jet (not spray bar). However over the last few months I had noticed the flow had slowed down but when I cleaned the media out it was not very dirty.

A couple of weeks ago the flow stopped completely and the impeller was making a loud noise as there was no water flow. I pumped the primer and could get the water flowing for a few minutes (with lots of air coming out) before the flow stopped again (but pump still going). I have checked the impeller cover and it was fitted correctly. I have blown through all the hosing and there does not seem to be any blockages. I then bought a new canister lid with motor and impeller but am still having the same problem. At one point I was able to get the flow going for 5 minutes or so by having the whole filter on its side (again lots of air bubbles coming out with the water) but after this the water flow stopped again. When pumping the primer I can feel the suction of the water into the inlet tube (by this time I had taken the filter bit off the end) however I can feel/hear air in the canister intermittently when doing this. I cannot see any leaks on any of the tubing and the intake is about 3 inches off the bottom of my tank so it is not sucking in any air but if I put my hand completely under the intake whilst pumping the primer I can hear a small squeak from the piping but do not know if this is relevant. I have taken all the media and containers out of the canister and tried to run the pump without it but that does not work either. I spent 4 hours on Sunday pumping the primer, getting the flow working for a few minutes with it then stopping and me pumping again. :angry: :angry:

I am totally at my wits end…. Can anyone give me any advice??
Lirva

Re: Major problems with Fluval 205

Postby englishmx » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Try a new gasket.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FLUVA ... 43b407de26

Only thing I have had to replace on Fluval external's after experiencing similar problems in the past
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Lirva » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Already have a new gasket. It's not that :(
Lirva

Postby englishmx » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:26 pm

I am puzzled now, as I'm sure you are. Air must be getting in somewhere :?
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Lirva » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Definitely!! That's why it is driving me mad!

Someone has suggested changing the inflow hose as it could have a pinprick hole. Apparently it will not leak due to the suction into the pump. I have ordered a new hose today so will let you know when I have fitted it. Hope this works :?
Lirva

Postby englishmx » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:49 am

Lirva wrote:Someone has suggested changing the inflow hose as it could have a pinprick hole. Apparently it will not leak due to the suction into the pump. I have ordered a new hose today so will let you know when I have fitted it. Hope this works :?

Got to be ruled out, good call, without stating the obvious cut the new hose just to the right length, 'sagging' too long hoses will certainly not help matters

Get new rubbers for the outlet & Inflow connections for the sake of a couple of quid and that's pretty much everything covered..........hopefully :)
Mike...
englishmx

Postby Lirva » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Attached the new inlet pipe and bobs your uncle.... started without even needing to be primed (filled the hose with water first)... have looked at the old hose and there is nothing blocking it or any visible holes.... must have been a pin prick hole.....

Very happy - at last!

:D :D :D
Lirva

Postby englishmx » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:13 am

Good news :)
Mike...
englishmx

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor