Slate and rocks

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Slate and rocks

Postby Neil P Skelding » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I've just got some slate and rocks for my tank, what is the best way to clean them before putting the into the tank
Neil P Skelding

Re: Slate and rocks

Postby ady » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 pm

when i wanted to sterilize my slate/stones...i put it in a clean bucket...and poured boiling water over it..i added a good whack of salt too....left it in there until water had cooled.then got hold of a brand new scourer sponge and gave em a good scrub up.

then when they were clean i chucked back into the bucket and sterilized again with boiling water...no salt this time........

took em out,then left em to dry on a clean tea towel.come up a treat

just remember that those bits of slate/stones will be a tad warm after sitting in the boiling water for awhile.

my slate came from a building site on a farm..

i would suggest not using any household cleaning product at all,it will be not good for the fish :wink:

anyways hope that helps :)
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Neil P Skelding » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Hey thanks for the info I've put them in a bucket and its all ready had 2 lots of boiling water would that be good enough as I'm not goin to put it in to tank until 2mora.
Neil P Skelding

Postby Carylnz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:52 am

I just brush the creepy crawlies off it, give it a quick scrub if required and add it to the tank.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby markee » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:26 am

I just put mine in a bucket & scrub away with a new scourer pad (or one i've used previously for fishy stuff). I do it outside, so if the weather is cold i use warm water & if it's warm weather i use cold water :lol: The scourer pads & bucket i use are either new or have only ever been used for fishy stuff.
markee

Postby ady » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:17 pm

me too markee....fish tank specific buckets,scourers,toothbrush.....dont want to get some nasty cleaning stuff in there.. :)

i only used the salt because the stuff came off farm building roof....just wanted to be extra careful :D
humans are the only race,with the intelligence to save the earth...shame we have the ignorance to ignore the salvation!!!!!
ady

Postby Carylnz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 pm

Very sensible. No knowing what pesticides and other nasty stuff has drifted over it over the years :shock:
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby ady » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:24 pm

thanks carylnz....it was put on the roof over 100 years ago.better safe than sorry me thinks..

shame i wasnt onsite when they stripped the roof totally,a whole skip load went begging......would have nabbed loads and made caves,plec tubes etc with it and sold em on the local f/book fish pages.....

:snowman:
ady

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor