juwel 3D background, have you used them?

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

juwel 3D background, have you used them?

Postby Davy Jones » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:31 pm

I fancy doing something a little different to the usual paper background and noticed a decent looking option from Juwel with their 3D backgounds.
Have any of you guys used them before? They are quite pricey but I think they look great however some feedback would be good before splashing out. As per usual various lfs had mixed views on them but none had actually tried using them!

Many thanks,

DJ
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Re: juwel 3D background, have you used them?

Postby markee » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 pm

I had the tiles in my 5ft tank but removed them for two reasons:

1. I was never 100% happy with how they looked, you could see the join in the tiles & i thought they would blend in better but it just annoyed me :lol:
2. They started to lift away from the glass, i followed the instructions correctly, used loads of silicone, left to cure 48 hours. I used some rockwork to help keep them in place but one of my plecs ventured up behind a tile after it found a gap!

They were expensive to buy & i wish i'd had a search around to find a one piece background, which probably would've been cheaper. I did like the design & if they did a one piece background then i might think about getting one.
markee

Postby Davy Jones » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Buying enough of those for a 5ft tank must have been crazy money! Thanks for your input though, i'd only need a pair as they'll only be for use in my 65l Siamese fighter's tank. I think i'd be a bit concerned if they tried removing themselves, especially if it meant fish getting stuck!

So you stick them in place with silicone I assume before any water goes in?
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Postby markee » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:59 am

Yes they were pretty expensive, i dread to think how much money i've spent over the years on fishkeeping :lol:

Make sure the tile & the glass are clean & apply a generous amount of silicone, then position the tile where you want it & then leave it to cure for 24/48 hours (before water goes in). If you can, lean something against it to apply a bit of pressure :wink:

These were the tiles i had, i used 2 & 1/2 of the biggest ones they did but there was not natural flow of the pattern from one tile to the other to hide the joint (i couldn't rotate them either as each tile has a lip to join to the next tile). A small gap was left at the bottom but i thought it wouldn't be an issue after i'd added the substrate but the plecs thought otherwise :lol:

With substrate

I tried to hide the joints with rocks & fake plants but you could still make it out & i guess in the end it just bugged me too much!
markee

Postby Davy Jones » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:52 pm

I see what you mean, those joins are quite noticeable. I think maybe i'll give those a miss, however a slate built wall like yours would look just as good, if not better!

Thanks for the help :wink:
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Postby Watto30 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Hiya

I have not used the juwel ones but was looking at them a while back for my tank, in the end I went for a similar thing made by a company called exo terra, they make 3d backgrounds for reptile tanks and you can get quite big sizes rather than having the smaller tiles which you join together they are made of polystyrene but I have had mine in place for about a year and a half with no problems, and they are safe for aquariums.

The only thing is there is not a huge range of choice as you get with the juwel ones but they are cheaper and can be cut to size. As others have said use plenty of silicon and allow to dry completely for 24 hours at least, the longer the better, unfortunately for me my clown loaches found a gap and now live behind the background!!

Good luck :D
Watto30

Postby Davy Jones » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for that, I went with the usual paper one in the end but i'll be redesigning the tank again shortly so i'll look into those others too :wink:
Juwel Trigon 190-

2 Midnight Angels
2 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown Plec
Davy Jones

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor