Trickle filter on a huge tank!

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Trickle filter on a huge tank!

Postby Watto30 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Hello all

Just after some friendly advice if possible please? I recently purchased a huge second hand acrylic Cleair tank, one of the double bow shaped ones, this tank is massive and think its going to look amazing once set up, off the top of my head I can't remember how many litres it holds but I would say 300 or possibly more

I have kept tropicals for a number of years and this tank has been a little dream for a while and thanks to a well known auction website I got it at a good price

These tanks are designed with a trickle filter system on the top of the tank, basically the clear perxpex unit to be filled with various sponges and noodles etc and a powerhead to pump tank water through it, I previously owned a much smaller version of this tank and the trickle filter was successfull, it was sometimes a pain as impedes being able to access the water easily but it worked well and the fish were happy with clear water, my question is for this size tank is a trickle filter going to be sufficient? or am I looking at just going straight for a large external? the problem I would have with external is fitting the pipes etc without having to drill into the perspex which I am nervous of! has anyone on here had a nice clear tank just relying on in built trickle filters? I know a lot of the Aqua one range of tanks have these inbuilt as had an Aqua one 620T but had an external one that one

Many thanks :o
Watto30

Re: Trickle filter on a huge tank!

Postby Carylnz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:45 pm

I think a lot will depend on the stocking levels and type of fish you choose. Heavily planted with a light load should be fine.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Watto30 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi

Many thanks for the reply, will give the trickle filter a go and see what happens, will be regularly testing the water so if its not looking too healthy then I will purchase an external

Thanks
Watto30

Postby Carylnz » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Trickle filters themselves are excellent filters but I have heard of some of those that run along the back of the tank top do not do the job required and tend to block quickly. As said, all depends on other factors.
Carylnz

Postby Watto30 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Many thanks Carylnz

Am actually debating whether to just go straight for an external rather than use the trickle filter as from previous experience with the smaller version of this tank although they work it becomes a pain as everytime you need to access the water you have to remove the lid of the tank then lift up the trickle filter and on this new tank it will be extremely heavy plus due to the height near on impossible for me to do as the tank once on the stand and with the lid on is over 5ft and I am only 5ft 3 so would need a stepladder! lol! :shock:

But thanks again for your help :)
Watto30

Postby Carylnz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:18 am

In that case I would go for an external canister I could reach!
I have never bought a branded style aquarium and stand etc, only had custom made.
Carylnz

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor