Eheim skim 350

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Eheim skim 350

Postby cousin it » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:35 pm

I have picked up one of these gems this weekend to help clear the surface of some of my tanks.
So far it is proving to be a very useful addition to the collection of maintenance tools I have for the tanks, it can either be left in place to continuously clear the surface of films and debris or be used when necessary or on multiple tanks.
I have been using it to eradicate duck weed which has been a real issue in a few of my tanks over the last few months and despite frequent skimming of them with a small net there always seems to be a bit that survives and quickly multiplies to cover the surface again reducing the light for the plants. This little filter has cleared up 2 tanks in about 24 hours and has left them looking perfectly clear at the surface.
I have tried many surface skimming attachments for filters over the years and have never achieved results like these.
The down side of this filter is if you have small fish or shrimp in the tank there is a chance that they will find their way into the filter and will need rescuing, I have had to remove a few cherry shrimp and a rocket panchax from mine so far, so worth having a peek inside before throwing the bits it collects into the bin.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Re: Eheim skim 350

Postby Carylnz » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:02 am

I had to Google that one. They do not seem to be in NZ shops. Looks useful.
My home forum is The NZ Fishroom http://www.fnzas.org.nz
Carylnz

Postby Rockfish » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 pm

I've had a very similar experience with one Daran.

I put one in a new planted display tank at Wharf that was getting a slight film on top, it cleared completely within an hour or two.

I also found some Amano shrimp in there! Four after the first night, two on the second night and now none for a couple of weeks - so maybe they are smart enough to learn from experience and not explore the skimmer intake after the first go? :) At least the small sponge stops them getting anywhere near the pump impeller!
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby cousin it » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 pm

I cannot give enough praise to this device, I have read a few reports of people replacing a similar product from a different mfr that costs around £200 with one of these, and they have been impressed with the improvement :shock: .
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor