Recommended Gravel Cleaner

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Recommended Gravel Cleaner

Postby k1rr1e » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:02 pm

I've been looking at buying a combined gravel cleaner, siphon and algae clearance device, but not many of the power driven devices have very high purchaser ratings on the websites I've looked at. If possible I would prefer something which can combine cleaning and water changing, but which is also able to clean the bottom and return the clean water to the tank.

The best one would appear to be the Eheim Quick Vac Pro, although it's not recommended for cleaning a sand bottom.

Can anyone comment on their experience of the above Eheim equipment, or maybe recommend a better alternative please?

Best regards,
Eric
k1rr1e

Re: Recommended Gravel Cleaner

Postby cousin it » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 am

Hi
After years of trying almost all of the gravel cleaning products on the market I now use one that has a slightly larger diameter tube on the end of the siphon hose that I remove the water from the tank with at water change time, I have use the battery powered multi vac systems from a lot of companies and personally find them a waste of time and money, the air driven ones are pretty good and for a little spot cleaning up I still have one around, but I will never purchase another powered cleaner.

The eheim one comes from a very reliable manufacturer but it is a lot of money that I do not feel is needed to be spent.

for cleaning the glass I use a metal scraper from hagen for the majority of the glass cleaning and for the more delicate areas I use a razor blade in a holder as this is a method I have used for many years and feel comfortable with, although care needs to be taken to prevent damage to the aquarium, on some smaller tanks I simply wipe over the inside of the glass with some filter floss which does a really good job of removing most algae, in addition a couple nerite snails would keep the glass nice and clean and would be a good way to spend some of the cash saved from the powered gravel cleaner :D

I would pick up some bamboo chopsticks and use those to give the sand a quick stir an hour or so before you do a water change, that will free up the sand and also get any trapped dirt into an area you can remove it with a siphon hose.

hope that gives you a few ideas.
Daran

there's always one
cousin it

Re: Recommended Gravel Cleaner

Postby k1rr1e » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Thanks for the advice Daran,

I have purchased an Eheim gravel cleaning kit which has a slightly cone shaped end to connect to the siphon tube - all for less than £16!

Best regards,
Eric
k1rr1e

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor