Gravel to sand

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Gravel to sand

Postby beaujacob17 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi!!!
I want to change my 70l tank from gravel to sand, what is the best way to do this? And what do I need to do with the sand first? Do I need to soak/rinse to get it clean? Thanks Katy
beaujacob17

Re: Gravel to sand

Postby Rockfish » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi,

You will want to give the sand a good rinse first, especially if adding it to an existing tank. How much washing it needs will depend on the type, but if you put a small amount in a clean bucket then use a hose or tap to run water into it while swirling it, you should soon get an idea how much rinsing it's going to need. Just pour the water away and refill until it runs completely clear - definitely time well spent to avoid a cloudy tank!

If you are changing the substrate in an existing tank with fish in, then you have to weigh up the least stressful method, which might depend on the type/number of fish and how the décor is set up. You'll either have to remove the fish to temporary containers with water siphoned from the tank, or remove and replace the substrate with the fish in.

A fish net can be quite useful for dredging up the gravel in that size tank. Either way, I wouldn't feed the fish for at least 24 hours before attempting the swap, and be careful with feeding afterwards, as you will lose some of the biological maturity of the tank when you remove the old substrate.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Postby beaujacob17 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:28 pm

I also have fry in the tank, at least 20! Some were only born 2 days ago.i know they use the gravel to hide so was thinking about doing half gravel and half sand? Thanks for your reply really useful as not ever changed a tanks substrate before! I am
Thinking I will have to save most of the water?
beaujacob17

Postby Rockfish » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:23 pm

Yes, I would save as much as the water as you can, especially with fry that will be more sensitive to changes. It might be better to wait a little while to make sure the fry are stable and strong before making any major changes.

If you have gravel and sand they will inevitably become a bit mixed over time, especially if you have any fish that root around in the bottom like catfish and loaches. However, you can get some good aquascaping effects by having areas of open sand with gravel to one side or at the edges, and it makes a more stimulating environment for fish that use the bottom of the tank.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor