Changing Filter and Recycling

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Changing Filter and Recycling

Postby k1rr1e » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:48 pm

For a number of reasons I have decided to change my current filter (an Eheim Aquaball internal filter) and have purchased an Eheim Ecco Pro 130 External Filter. It comes complete with all the filter media, pipes and taps etc.

I have not installed and set up the new filter yet, but I wanted some advice on the best way to go about it, as there will be no good bacteria in the new filter media until it gets going and I want to avoid overstressing and possibly killing any of my fish as a result.

Should I run both filters in tandem for a day or two, or can I just substitute new for old and if so, what precautions should I take?
k1rr1e

Re: Changing Filter and Recycling

Postby Rockfish » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi,

It would definitely be a good idea to run both filters in tandem, but I would suggest a bit longer - at least a couple of weeks to let the new one properly establish (which will happen much more quickly in an established tank of course than when starting from scratch). You could speed things up by squeezing some muck from the sponges in the Aquaball onto the sponge or biomedia in the Ecco. An alternative if you really didn't want to run them in tandem for long would be to cut up the mature sponges in the Aquaball and put them inside the media baskets of the Ecco so that they are still providing biofiltration as they seed the new media.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor