Filters

Post your questions about aquarium equipment and decor items here...

Filters

Postby spotted grunter » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:50 am

Hi,
I Have a 48x12x18 tank which I calculate to be 37 gallons. Presently I have a Fluval Biolife 2 filter which works very well. However because of the glass supports at the end of the tank I have to remove the filter each time I need to do anything to it. Because of this I am going to change over (gradually) to an external filter. I was going to buy the fluval 205 but I have thought of buying the 305. Is there is any advantage in overfiltration or will this cause a problem with water flows etc?
spotted grunter

Postby krekra » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:18 am

I dont think that would create any major issues at all. If the filtration is too high pressure you can always direct the outflow against the glass to reduce the current in the tank. Overfiltration is better then underfiltration!! Id get the bigger one!
Karena

Just because you can doesnt always mean you should!
krekra

Postby dw » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:11 am

I'd go bigger, holds more media, its less likely to clog and should require a bit less maintenance.

The only thing is that with a 305 you will need to reduce the current by using a spray bar or as krekra said aiming the output off the glass. I have one and the pump is quite powerful.
Andy
dw

filters

Postby spotted grunter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:28 am

Hi,

I have taken your advice Krekra and bought the 305. I will install it on the tank with the mature biolife until it too is mature. About how long does that usually take?

Grunter
spotted grunter

Postby moocowmoneybox » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:36 am

honestly id give it at least 3 months, maybe even 6 months.

Your current filter is efficiently making the ammonia and nitrites safe so it will take a while for the new filter to start producing its own bacteria.

You could do some media squeezings from the old filter into the new filter to start it off, but it will still take a long time for the bacteria levels to grow
Adrian
Rio 400 12/11/10

You dont need eyes to see, you need vision.
"There's someone in my head but it's not me..."
"Everybody has their vice"
moocowmoneybox

Postby Rockfish » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:40 pm

If you do as Adrian suggested and squeeze some waste from the Biolife into the 305 media, it will seed much quicker. Most aquariums will cycle from scratch in about 4-6 weeks, so the process is much faster in a mature tank that has a head start.

I've used this filter transfer method alot, and find a month is usually plenty of time as long as the new filter is 'seeded' from the old. You could run them in parallel for a few weeks and then put some of the Biolife media in the 305 when you remove the Biolife.

The media supplied with the 305 doesn't generally fill all of the compartments, especially once you've used up the carbon, so you could cut up the Biolife sponge and/or add some of the ceramic media to the 305.

btw, the double lever tap assembly on the 305 means you can use the second lever to reduce the flow rate a bit while you're running them in parallel.
Sean

Remember there's lots of info at The Tropical Tank main site!
Rockfish
Site Admin

Return to Aquarium Equipment & Decor